Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-21-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Ultimate Warrior

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Warrior mentions "28 men" and Okerlund clairvoyantly surmises that the guy he left out was Hogan. Nope, I don't remember a Hogan/Warrior build either, though I guess it should have been fairly obvious in hindsight. Warrior closes out with threats for Earthquake and Bravo and threatens to more or less assimilate Bravo's power, Borg-style.

I thought Warriors analogies worked well here especially the writing of the wall for the history books one for Hogan. Will be interesting to see if as this program advances if Warriors mic work is above average because the only promo I can recall off hand is the completely bonkers one from Wrestlemania in the locker room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Warrior is at least somewhat coherent this week. I would have died laughing if Mean Gene had set up Warrior to talk about Hogan and he'd cut the rest of his promo on someone like Koko B. Ware (who was in the Rumble that year; he drew number two).

One noticeable botch, and it came from Okerlund: he talks up the tag match from SNME as Hogan and Warrior taking on a common enemy, meaning Perfect and the Genius. But without clarifying that, he immediately leads Warrior into some final comments about Bravo and Earthquake. It wasn't a great big deal, really; they could have been teaming against the Conquistadors for all it mattered. But I'm surprised that Vince let it pass, especially since TV Guide had (correctly) listed Perfect and the Genius as their opponents. Why tease, even inadvertently, a match against Bravo and Quake that you weren't going to deliver?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If there was any sort of doubt after the Hulk Hogan interview on the Brother Love show, then it's clear after this that there is going to be some sort of confrontation between Hogan and the Warrior at the Royal Rumble. He didn't make much sense but talks about 28 mortal men, and the 29th man, Hulk Hogan, having a force built around him like no others that walk in the World Wrestling Federation.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-21-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Ultimate Warrior