Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-22-WWF-Miami, FL] Randy Savage vs Roddy Piper

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

This is a match I always thought the WWF should have run on a big show. In fact, I would have rather seen Savage/Piper and Dusty/Bad News at WM 6, instead of the other way around. This started out fun with the Piper/Sherri comedy, got pretty pedestrian, then picked up again when they battled each other over the airplane spin. Savage totally made the match when he fell off the top rope because he was so dizzied by the airplane spin he just performed on Piper. I knew this wouldn't have a finish before even watching it. It's a Roddy Piper WWF match after all.

Piper does some fun stuff at the beginning. I mean, it's basic small packages and stuff but Piper wrestling on the level isn't really what you expect of him. He only ramps up the usual Piper punch-and-kick-fest after Sherri gets involved one too many times. Savage with a pretty epic airplane spin and then he plummets to the floor--I was kind of hoping he'd take his backwards turnbuckle climb all the way and leap off to nowhere. We get the birth of the Attitude Era after the match as the camera gratuitously zooms in on Sherri's exposed rear end after she takes a bump off Piper in the post-match.

Nice match up. Agreed these guys needed a PPV type match at some point. Piper seems to always enjoy roughing up Sherri. She gets in her own shots throughout the match though. They trade airplane spins? Savage climbs up the turnbuckle backwards and falls off. Weird they are playing this match for comedy but I laughed. No surprise that there was not a clean finish.

Piper and Sherri are always great interacting with each other and this match featured a lot of graphic sherri shots including a close up on her ass when her dress came up. Someone alert Doc Sarpolis of this. The action after Savage teased running to the back was pretty bad but the airplane spot was cool and finish was predictably fun. Loss idea for WM 6 match ups sounds like a good alternative.

Loved Savage's airplane spin. Did he ever use that in another match? He seems legit discombobulated by it even before the fall from the top rope. Decent match between two big names that somehow never had a WWF PPV match, or even a program, against one another. In fact, I think their only other time working with one another in any way was when they teamed with Vince on WWF Superstars in '91.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved Savage's airplane spin. Did he ever use that in another match? He seems legit discombobulated by it even before the fall from the top rope. Decent match between two big names that somehow never had a WWF PPV match, or even a program, against one another. In fact, I think their only other time working with one another in any way was when they teamed with Vince on WWF Superstars in '91.

There's a handheld of a Piper/Savage match from December '86. They also worked that pre-Wrestlemania III Savage/Adonis/Race vs. Steamboat/Piper/Junkyard Dog elimination match and they had a couple of matches against each other in WCW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Funny enough, I'm not alone in catching the close-up of Sherri's ass before they flip to the hard camera. Savage does a couple axe handles from the turnbuckle here and of course rocks the airplane spin before getting disoriented and falling to the outside. I often forget that back in 1990 they would play for the count out win so Savage is noticeably upset when Sherri's attempt to keep Piper on the outside results in a DQ win for the Hot Rod.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

A decent home video match. I liked the airplane spin battle as much as anyone else, but I missed the shot of Sherri's rear in the postmatch brawl. I didn't miss Piper pulling up her skirt after she did the same to his kilt, though. Interesting that Sherri's attempts to keep Piper out of the ring actually got Savage disqualified; you didn't see that finish in the Hulkamania-era WWF too often. The heel usually got away with stuff like that, like in the November '87 SNME match when Heenan got Bundy a win over Hogan that way.

One thing I was always disappointed with when it came to Sherri: the announcers never put over the fact that she'd been ladies' champion and was very dangerous physically as a result. Even when she connects with a nice kick to Piper's head during this match, they treat it the same way as a Fuji cane jab or Heenan cheap shot. Vince really missed the boat here, to say the least.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Despite being stuck down the card, Savage and Sherri continue to kill it with this act; they really were perfect for the King and Queen act. In fact, Sherri in general is great with everyone she seems to interact with. As for this, it was fun enough but Savage is the one making it so. Someone looking to do some comedy in current WWE should totally seal the airplane spin - > fall off the top spot.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-22-WWF-Miami, FL] Randy Savage vs Roddy Piper