Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Robert Fuller & Brian Lee

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Fuller has a broken heart! His Georgia peach has left him! He brought out a guitar and decided to play a song. He's actually pretty good. Bill Dundee is out crying crocodile tears, which (rightfully?) infuriates the Stud Stable. Brian Lee suggests doing a Star Search to find him a new woman. Fuller needs a woman who don't mind bein' the first one on the bus ready to ride! Robert Fuller is so awesome.

Robert Fuller: Emo Pioneer. The Tennessee Stud pours his heart out for his dear departed Sylvia (and he can legit play the guitar a bit, which is a treat) and the reaction from the heartless fans in attendance is really pretty sickening. Jerry Lawler gives some sage advice about just letting her go, and I think off-mic he added something to the effect of, "Whatever you do, don't spend the last half of your autobiography talking about her after she's gone." The Sylvia Star Search '90 is on!

Col. Parker could have redeemed the whole stupid Sherri/Madusa angle with something like this.

Fuller puts Elvis and Billy Joe Travis in the same category which caused Dave Brown to do a double take. Well I'm ready to put Fuller in the same group too as he sings a nice little number about the pain he is going through. Lawler is there to give advice about women. Dundee can't resist jumping through the curtain to mock Fuller with some fake crying. Fun segment.

"In the tradition of Elvis, Billy Joe Travis, and some of the finer singers"...tremendous. I was predisposed to like this segment because I'm a huge Robert Fuller mark to begin with, but this was amazing. Even loved Lawler trying to talk Fuller out of it but Fuller goes ahead with it anyway. I hope the Tennessee Stud was able to find love.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a huge fan of Robert Fuller and he never fails to deliver. This was a really funny segment. Dave Browns reaction to Fuller putting BJT in the same breath as Elvis was priceless.

If you enjoyed Fuller here and have not seen him in Southeastern/Continental, do yourself a favor and try to check it out. Robert along with his brother Ron and cousin Jimmy Golden, were amazing and just tore up Alabama for years in some of the most fun wrestling I have ever seen. I think Alabama is one of those great lost territories. Unfortunately, there just isn't a lot of footage available. But what we do have Kris Z is tearing thru it for the DVDVR set and from what I can tell is having a blast going thru it.

• 1 month later...

This was a lot of fun. Fuller puts Billy Joe Travis in the same category as Elvis and does a pretty decent job singing here. A star search is proposed so that Fuller can mend his broken heart but none of the fat hogs in the crowd should bother applying. USWA continues to be the most entertaining promotion so far in 1990.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Shame there's no real payoff to this, as this could have been one of the seemingly silly angles that Memphis actually pulls off quite believably. Fuller can sing and play better than most wrestlers, including Billy Joe Travis, and Lawler and Dundee each play their parts well. The highlight, though, is Dave's rather understated double take at the mention of Travis's name alongside Elvis.

Out of curiosity, where was Jimmy Golden at this time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Robert Fuller says that he's not one to keep secrets and if there is any truth to be told, he'll tell it. A lot of people have been asking where Sylvia is? It's not an easy moment in his life, but Sylvia has left him and is now a bar maid in Columbus, GA. He's got a broken heart and doesn't feel too good! He's bought a guitar out with them, and in the tradition of Elvis, Billy Joe Travis and some of the better singers, he's going to sing a song for her. Jerry Lawler tells him to let her go and that he's better off without her, but he sings anyway. He's got a surprisingly good voice, although the crowd are pretty brutal with their laughing and jeering of this attempt to woo her back. Bill Dundee also makes an appearance as this is going on, mockingly wiping his eyes. Fuller then says that Brian Lee has told him that he's sick and tired of seeing him pining over her, so they are going to have a star search. They want all the women to write in and they'll choose someone to replace Sylvia and be their new valet. Not a fat hog though, they want a good looking woman!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hilarious segment where Robert Fuller actually cuts a decent, buskers night sing-a-long sessions. "In the tradition of Elvis, Billy Joe Travis and some of the better singers" got a pop out of me. Heels looking out for heels! Lawler and Brian Lee consoling him as he's singing is another great touch. At times, these Memphis shows have the feel of loose, comedy theatre and I can only imagine how fun it must have been to be a crowd member

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-27-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Robert Fuller & Brian Lee