Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-27-NWA-Worldwide] Funk's Grill: Theodore R. Long & Mark Callous

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Mean Mark Callous debuts in the NWA. The interplay with Funk and Long is really hilarious. Yes, med2089, this is the segment you think it is! :)

I'm glad you put this on here. I used to have this entire episode on a VHS somewhere that my dad had taped from WPIX on first airing, but I lost it when I donated all those tapes to a local wrestling school a couple years back for their students to study. One of the many gems I lost by doing so.

"To the hospital, that is!"

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Terry seems to be almost a tweener here, taking subtle digs at Teddy but not wanting to get too far on his bad side. Teddy's already miles better than Slick on the mic, and he's only been a manager less than a year. Of course, Slick was nothing but a walking stereotype anyway, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

As for Mean Mark/Taker, he doesn't seem too thrilled with Teddy and Terry's dance exhibition to say the least; by the end of the segment, you can tell that he's already praying for Vince to rescue him from this insanity. His wish would be granted by the end of the year.

Interestingly enough, Teddy was not-too-subtly burying Sid here, but when Sid makes his return in a few months, he not only comes back as a heel, but a Horseman. It'll be interesting to see if we get mention of that during the upcoming Horsemen/Doom feud (which I've never seen, by the way).

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One of Teddy's senoritas gave him this jacket that he's wearing, to which Funk quips that she might have given him something else too! Long introduces one half of The Skyscrapers, not the new Skyscrapers, The Skyscrapers, 'Mean' Mark Callous. Teddy says that he's the meanest, toughest guy in all of wrestling, and along with Dan Spivey, the Skyscrapers are going to rule professional wrestling, rule the world and they are going to get rid of the Road Warriors so that the people won't have to put up with them anymore! Funk asks Teddy whether he can teach him how to dance (you know, black men have rhythm and all that!) and the two of them start jiving whilst Callous looks on in bemusement shaking his head.

Some funny facials from Funk and Callous here, but not much else to this.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-27-NWA-Worldwide] Funk's Grill: Theodore R. Long & Mark Callous