Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-27-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Four Horsemen

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Ross asks Sting how he is adjusting to life in the fast lane, and he says he's handling it just fine. He also asks if he is prepared to beat Ric Flair for the World title at Wrestle War on February 25. Before he can answer the question, the Horsemen are out with women, perhaps binders full of them! Woman interrupts the party and makes an offer to Flair once again. She tells Flair when he's finished with girls, to let him know when he's ready for a woman. Good segment.

Awww the Arn Anderson/Eddie Gilbert TV title match isn't on the set? That sounds like something that would have to be decent, right?

They start teasing the split of Sting from the Horsemen here with Ross (called JR by Flair, years before that became his nickname) asking Sting about facing Flair at Wrestlewar. Woman cuts a pretty decent promo here, and I have to imagine being married to Kevin, she had coaching from one of the best wrestling minds ever, so that had to be a benefit. Good segment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sting claims to be enjoying the Horsemen party life and gets cut off by Flair before he gets a chance to talk about their upcoming match. Woman cuts a good promo reminding Flair of her offer. Good segment here and I'm interested in checking out the Anderson vs Gilbert match that's not on the set.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A bit odd that Arn was defending against fellow face Gilbert.

Nice job of subtly teasing the gulf between Sting and Flair; Sting tells JR that as much as he enjoys being a Horseman, he still has his responsibilities to the little Stingers, which Flair and Arn (ostensibly) don't. So the Horsemen turn wasn't quite as much out of nowhere as I'd previously believed, which is always good to see. It's also good to see Flair invite JR to their next party. He'd better take advantage of that invitation while he can; the Clash is just ten days away!

I notice that Woman's invitation to Flair very noticeably does not include Sting or Arn, and that Ole never even shows up for the interview. It would have been interesting to see Woman take over as manager of the newly-heeled Horsemen after the Clash; from what I remember of Ole as a manager, let's just say he was no JJ Dillon.

• 11 months later...

I've never seen Sting with face paint all the way around his face like a beard before. The fact that the title match was just hinted at but the conversation getting interrupted is a great subtly. Meanwhile in the midst of all the partying, Arn cuts a dead serious promo, that's the best part of this thing. Sting's sexuality is the equivalent of a pre-teen child with poor parental supervision.

• 1 year later...

Jim Ross is out there with Sting and with some of Ric Flair's parties lasting two or three days at a time, he's wondering how he's adapting to being a Horseman? Sting says that life with the Horseman is definitely 'life in the fast lane', but he has his own lifestyle too and there are a lot of things he wants to do in the NWA. Ross asks him if on 2/25 he's prepared to beat him team mate for the World Heavyweight title? Sting is a bit taken back by the question, but before he can answer, Flair and Arn Anderson (surrounded with a bunch of women) joins them. Flair doesn't want to talk business any more as there is a party going on, whilst Arn is in his wrestling gear ready for a TV title defence against Eddie Gilbert. Ross mentions that Flair is being recruited by Woman, when out she comes with Nitron. She says that she doesn't think Flair knows what she can do for him, February 6 is awfully close and she knows she can help him out. Flair says that she's one of the most creatures on the face of the earth, but as lovely as she is, they've always been able to draw that fine line between business and pleasure. She tells him that he has her card and when he's finished with the girls, let her know when he's ready for a Woman!

Flair is a better man than me if he can withstand Woman's advances. Good little segment furthering the Sting vs Flair storyline and also Woman's pursuit of Flair. In regard to Pete's question, I'd say that Tammy Fytch in SMW is a better promo than Woman but I'm struggling after that and it's a pleasant surprise of good a promo Nancy is.

• 2 months later...

Sting's sexuality is the equivalent of a pre-teen child with poor parental supervision.

I think Sting's comment about "the little Stingers" does more than just tell you why he's not going to be a Horseman long. It also tells you why he reacts to women the way he does. He _can't_ be a guy who goes all in on the ladies the way the Horsemen do. Sting's the guy all the kiddies love and he's going to have to have a much less adult reaction when confronted with a beautiful woman to keep that status.

Great stuff with tension being hinted at by the rest of the Horsemen interrupting at the right time. I'm guessing the Gilbert match, as much as I'd like to see it, didn't make it for lack of inclusion in the overall narrative.

• 5 months later...

I mean, the turn is telegraphed with Flair throwing ladies at Sting to stop him from thinking about the title match but it doesn't make it any more disappointing. More great orating from Arn, as expected and Woman turns up to sow some further seeds. WCW is really killing it in January.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-27-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Four Horsemen