Pro Wrestling Only

• 4 weeks later...

This crowd is SO excited to see the return of the Rock & Roll Express. Another excellent WCW TV match in January. This is laid out like you would expect, but it's given 20 minutes and is executed very, very well. Cornette takes a nice bump off of the dropkick. Shane Douglas - who is in a bad spot with the bookers at this point - eats the fall.

Weird ending all-around. I mean, Eaton-hits-the-Alabama-Jam-on-covering-opponent is as standard as it gets, but the timing is all messed up from Shane having to blatantly put himself in position to Lane taking 45 minutes to cover. Before that this was fun with a classic performance by Ricky Morton doing what Ricky Morton does. Still, it was "fun," and with a sort of tepid opening there's no way I'd put this up against the higher-end WCW matches of January.

Looked like Douglas got pelted with a drink coming out to the ring. How expensive would the hotline bill be to listen to the play by play of Lance Russel on a Sunday Night?

Good match but didn't break any new ground with these teams. Feels good to have the RXR/MX back though and I look forward to the next chapter in their feud. Douglas/Ace look to about be at the end of the road here.

Ending did seem to be botched. Douglas put himself in the wrong position to take the Alabama Jam and then move around to do so which looks bad when your pinning a guy. Then they take a while to get the pinfall with the ref counting but it being really obviously the Douglas' shoulders are not on the mat. We get a random camera cut to other action while the three count is finally made. Ending aside was a good match but behind other matches we have seen from WCW so far.

Wow, did Shane Douglas fuck that finish up something fierce. Took some of the shine away from what had been a fun eight man tag before that, largely carried by the Midnights and the Rock 'n' Roll. Being in the ring at the same time as the Rock 'n' Roll really exposed that the Dynamic Dudes really weren't very good. I don't think either guy was cut out for this role at all, as most of what Ace does looks awkward as hell, and Shane Douglas just looks slow when he's doing his dropkick comebacks. But complaints aside, worth watching for the Midnights and the Rock 'n' Roll.

• 1 month later...

Dynamic Dudes just look out of place in this company. If only it could have been The Fantastics. Heels have a Survivor Series dream team.

I think Jim Ross's voice dropped a decabel between 88 and 90. His voice is less high pitched here than it was in 88. He's good solo though.

"Pink shirt, purple tie, red jacket ... man, he's dressed like he lost a bet or something" Ha ha.

Don't like Shane Douglas's dropkicks.

I liked the little spot where Eaton was pretending to help Morton up outside the ring who then socked him when he realised who it was.

Crowd made it clear they didn't care for the Dudes, they didn't even give the dropkick from the top into a suplex a cheer.

Nice bump from Cornette.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good match up until the finish. Morton did a fine job in his role (unsurprisingly) as the face in peril for this match and I was surprised by the good amount of offense that Douglas got in this match. Not only was the finish botched, but the camera work was off too.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A typically chaotic eight-man tag, with Ricky Morton reprising his award-winning role as wrestling's favorite punching bag. It was odd to see Shane Douglas as a high flyer here.

I'm still not sure what happened at the finish, as the camera was filming everything but the ring. I know I didn't hear a bell, which makes the whole business that much odder. Say what you will about Vince, but he'd never let sloppiness like this air on TV. That includes the sloppiness of the wrestlers, as Douglas noticeably had to move so Eaton didn't hit Lane with the Alabama Jam.

Probably the worst WCW match of the month by a wide margin with two left to watch.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Midnights and the Rock n' Rolls had such a great 1990, this match included. Freebirds coming out to some kind of remix version of the worst song of all time (Free Bird) gets a lot of heat from me. I really liked the Eaton/Douglas segment with the two high flyers squaring off. And right after that all the babyfaces getting in the ring after Douglas cleans house is great. The NWA does chaos so well, and I can't articulate why. It could be a southern thing, where the crowds are really hot and borderline out of control and that atmosphere spills over into the match itself. I just watched this and I can't remember ever seeing Johnny Ace once. Did he ever get tagged in or anything? I don't understand the finish. The camera misses the count and there's no bell I don't think and I mustve missed who was being pinned or who botched or what. I don't know.

• 1 year later...

Dudes needed to not be here. Douglas murdered the ending and didn't really impress with anything. Ace didn't fare any better. Freebirds seemed like they were looking for face reactions, odd. Jimmy Garvin was thankfully not overly involved. Midnights/RnRs stuff was good, but too much bullshit around that to really impress.

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-27-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Midnight Express & Fabulous Freebirds vs Rock & Roll Express & Dynamic Dudes