Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-02-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler & Billy Joe Travis vs Jeff Jarrett & Bill Dundee

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Billy Travis continues to impress. The guy is just way too talented to have never gotten a big break. Solid match, with Jarrett playing FIP and getting choked out with the secret chain. This isn't quite as good as you want, just because Jarrett getting worked over never really builds to a hot tag. Still worth seeing though.

Most disappointing USWA match so far as I couldn't get behind the schtick with the chain. Travis really does seem like a lost figure in time so far as he fits right in with Dundee and Lawler. Dundee may have the worst array of wrestling tights in history at this time. Ending beatdown was done well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was a lot of fun. Someone should have told Dundee that vertical stripes are a no no, you can create height and slimness with horizontal stripes.

And the greatest thing is Lawler, Travis, and Garvin hugging at ringside and Maec calls it a "Comfort session." Then immediately Garvin does a fisting motion. :lol:

I love Marc Lowrence calling Memphis style matches, he just seems so perplexed by it at times, God bless him.

• 1 month later...

I have to second the Terence Garvin hate. He's really annoying...and not in an entertaining way. I just want him off of my TV, but I love the four guys in the actual match, especially Lawler's epic crawl of fear across the ring. It's still a little weird all these years later watching Memphis guys wrestling in Texas, though. Decent match, but short.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I guess I'll be the only one to come along and say that I like Garvin, especially on color. This match was a lot of fun and would not have thought Billy Joe Travis would be the star of the match just looking at the names. But I'm becoming a big Travis fan. The punches, his reactions, his promos, he was awesome.

• 4 months later...

Nice little tag bout here, and unbelievably, Garvin is the star in my eyes. He did the heel cornerman shtick, including the obligatory game of "Hide-A-Chain", very well, and if his voice weren't so campily high-pitched I'd say he has a future as a manager, at least in Memphis and Dallas. The actual match was a bit too quick to end, but I guess they were running out of time and wanted to get to the beatdown, which as others have said was done well.

Loved seeing "Beauty" on the back of Garvin's chair. Missed the old couple flipping him the bird; I'll have to rewatch just for that.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I may have asked this in another thread and may have gotten an answer I forgot, but what's the relationship between Terrance Garvin and Jimmy Jam? They seem to be cut from the same awful cloth. I'm in such a honeymoon phase with Billy Joe Travis that anything he is involved in I like. The chain thing didn't work for me since it was a pretty weak chain to begin with and didn't seem any more harmful than choking someone with your hands, but who cares. Also, anytime someone cuts a promo during a match, it's a winner.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-02-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler & Billy Joe Travis vs Jeff Jarrett & Bill Dundee
  • 2 years later...

Terrance Garvin is such an annoying shit and not in the good way! Massive pop from me when Jarret finally got his hands on him. Post-match was better than the match. Great little beatdown with Lawler using the chain to choke out Dundee followed by a cracking couple of piledrivers. Travis is such a scummy cornball and I can't get enough of it.