Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-06-NWA-Clash of the Champions X] Kevin Sullivan vs Norman The Lunatic (Falls Count Anywhere)

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Last few minutes of what was in some ways the prototype for the Sullivan/Benoit matches later in the decade. They brawl backstage into the ladies room. Norman hesitates to go in, then a woman comes running out of the room. We have no idea what's happening in there, but we hear a pinfall. Sullivan comes out and staggers to the floor and Norman comes out holding a toilet seat and toilet paper with the ref raising his hand in victory. Funny.

Norman takes a not quite Cactus Jack-sized but moderately impressive bump in the aisleway. Falls-count-anywhere matches date back to the '70s, but they always kept things around ringside and usually ended in the ring anyway--a necessary consequence of wrestling being catered to live events instead of television. Things had changed by 1990 and Sullivan (who mostly booked himself in the NWA and I'm assuming booked this) could recognize that, as this is probably the first FCA match designed for television with the brawl going outside of the ring area. A pretty revolutionary companion piece to the Cactus Jack match.

Sullivan doing a drunken stumble out of the bathroom is pretty funny, especially for someone who can often match Ole no-sell for no-sell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't find this very enjoyable. Some lame brawling until they go backstage to the women's restroom. I'm surprised that Norman can read as he see that it reads Women's so he doesn't want to go inside. Eventually he does and he wins the match behind closed doors to get his revenge on Sullivan.

• 1 year later...

Am I the only one who thinks that the match ended in the ladies' room without a camera present so Sullivan wouldn't actually be seen losing to Norman? A few loud crashes and a drunken stumble are one thing, but actually laying down and having Norman cover you for a three-count is something else. At least he could credibly claim in his next interview that he was never actually pinned on television (note my emphasis).

At any rate, this wasn't much to me. Next time, Kevin, take the pin on camera like a man.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Norman starts strangling Sullivan with his shirt. He then headbutts him, Sullivan takes a spill out of the ring and the two of them start fighting up the aisle. Norman takes a backdrop on the ramp (which is some bump for a guy his size) and they continue to fight up on to the stage and into the dressing room area. Sullivan takes refuge in the women’s restroom and Norman is reluctant to go in there at first (nice touch to his character). A woman rushes out, referee Nick Patrick goes in to see what’s going on and at that point Norman follows him in. Gordon Solie (who is in the back for some reason) tries to get in the restroom but gives up quickly. We hear some banging and then Sullivan staggers back out and collapses on the floor. Norman and Patrick exit the restroom with Norman carrying a toilet seat and Patrick declaring him the winner.

I actually thought what aired was alright until they went to the restroom. Shitty (no pun intended!) ending as I wasn’t a fan of the pin taking place off camera. Guess Sullivan wasn’t too keen on doing the clean job?

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-06-NWA-Clash of the Champions X] Kevin Sullivan vs Norman The Lunatic (Falls Count Anywhere)