Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Last few minutes of Steiners vs Doom. The match was masks vs titles. Reed is unmasked, which distracts him long enough to be pinned. As a result of the pre-match stipulations, now Simmons has to unmask as well. And now they are on their way to being a good team. Did anyone not figure out who they were before this? Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I mean Doom, gets unmasked. Making the announcers think that Doom was anybody other than Butch Reed and Ron Simmons made them look stupider than Norman and Rick Steiner combined.

Actually Ross had been ironically stating that he really was wondering who were under the hoods for a while, so they really didn't play it like it was any surprise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, the clip up above where JR accidentally names Reed as one of Doom has been removed from YouTube.

The most interesting part of this to me was that Gary Cappetta no-sold Reed's unmasking in his postmatch announcement. Note that he said that Simmons will be suspended if he doesn't unmask, "along with his tag team partner". At the risk of sounding like a mark and an idiot, was Reed's unmasking before the end of the bout planned, or was it an accident that JR and Corny went along with in order not to come off as completely braindead? It sure looks like it could have been accidental, and we know the Steiners didn't always do as they were expected to do.

I've always heard that Simmons and Reed were the only two black heels on the NWA roster at the time. If that's true, no wonder this whole deal sounded so dumb. Couldn't they have at least turned Rocky King heel to create some suspense?

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, the clip up above where JR accidentally names Reed as one of Doom has been removed from YouTube.

The most interesting part of this to me was that Gary Cappetta no-sold Reed's unmasking in his postmatch announcement. Note that he said that Simmons will be suspended if he doesn't unmask, "along with his tag team partner". At the risk of sounding like a mark and an idiot, was Reed's unmasking before the end of the bout planned, or was it an accident that JR and Corny went along with in order not to come off as completely braindead? It sure looks like it could have been accidental, and we know the Steiners didn't always do as they were expected to do.

I've always heard that Simmons and Reed were the only two black heels on the NWA roster at the time. If that's true, no wonder this whole deal sounded so dumb. Couldn't they have at least turned Rocky King heel to create some suspense?

I think the point Capetta was making was that Simmons would also be suspended if Reed didn't unmask, not that Reed needed to unmask (since he already had). The unmasking seems pretty clearly planned, although I think they messed up the spot. It looks like Rick was meant to take the mask with him when Reed pushed him off of the headlock. Rick looks like he's trying to take it with him but loses his grip on it, so after he hits the ropes he just sorts of runs by Reed and yanks the mask off to cover.

• 1 year later...

Scott with a Frankensteiner on Butch Reed and he makes the hot tag to his brother. Rick with a powerslam to Reed and a clothesline on Ron Simmons that sends him out of the ring. He goes for the mask but Reed manages to stop him. Rick grabs a side headlock, Reed shoots him into the ropes and on the return whips the mask off, revealing to no-one’s surprise, Butch Reed (agree with Woof’s comments that Rick was probably supposed to take the mask with him when Reed shot him into the ropes). Reed goes over to Simmons can’t believing what’s just happened, and whilst distracted, Rick (who has put the mask on for some reason) rolls him up for the pin. Gary Michael Cappetta then announces that he’s been informed by referee Nick Patrick that if Doom #2 doesn’t take off his mask he’ll be suspended from wrestling. Doom #2 takes off the mask to reveal Ron Simmons (really? I would never have guessed!) and Doom already look infinitely times better without the hoods.

Great last few minutes with Doom getting the heat on Scott, the hot tag to Rick and the unmasking. Real good stuff here.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-06-NWA-Clash of the Champions X] Least Shocking Unmasking Ever
  • 1 year later...

From a kayfabe point-of-view the ending was strange. The match was titles vs. masks and the Steiners won basically by unmasking Reed. I suppose the idea was that the mask should have gone of "accidentally" at the headlock and when it did not Rick called an audible and removed it manually.