Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-09-NWA-Power Hour] Funk's Grill: Jim Cornette

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Terry announces that his time on Funk's Grill is ending. He needs someone who everyone hates and has no redeeming qualities to follow him, a "rancid peace of meat" like Jim Cornette, who shows up late and has no idea Funk has been talking about him. Funk hands him the mic and walks away, and as soon as Funk is out of sight, Cornette starts badmouthing him and promoting himself. Funny!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

As good as Funk was from what little I've seen, Corny fits the bill as an interview segment host much better. It's too bad Vince didn't give him the old Brother Love segment when he came in '93; he would have been just as good as Lawler (had The King's Court debuted yet?). Still, nothing beats vintage Piper's Pit, or even modern Piper's Pit, which is the one vestige of the current product I check out on YouTube if I happen to remember reading that Rod showed up on a given week.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Terry Funk has some sad news for the simple minded people and some good news for himself. The sad news is that he’s no longer going to be on Funk’s Grill, the good news is he’s moving on to bigger and better things on Worldwide Wrestling. He needs to find someone to replace him though. He doesn’t want someone who is very good like Arsenio Hall, Johnny Carson or David Letterman, he needs someone who is really bad like Geraldo Rivera! He needs someone that is fat, overbearing, obnoxious, repugnant, a loud mouth, someone who oozes like a rancid piece of meat. At which point Jim Cornette makes his entrance, apologizes for being late and says he’s honoured to be on Funk’s Grill. Funk says he has an idea and how would Cornette like to host Funk’s Grill from now on. He hands him the mic and then just walks off set and from now on the Louisville Slugger will be on Power Hour bringing the straight scoops.

Fun little segment, and I like the way Funk just handed the mic to Cornette and immediately walked off set not bothering to stick around. I appear to be in the minority but can’t say I’ll miss the Grill.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-09-NWA-Power Hour] Funk's Grill: Jim Cornette