Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-10-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Martel

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely see Martel's wrestling ability getting wasted by this gimmick but I do have a soft spot for his model character as he was one of my least favorites growing up and it was great to see the debut of Arrogance. I again love Vince inserting his little comments in the pauses of the interview.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I definitely see Martel's wrestling ability getting wasted by this gimmick but I do have a soft spot for his model character as he was one of my least favorites growing up and it was great to see the debut of Arrogance. I again love Vince inserting his little comments in the pauses of the interview.

I was the opposite. I remember I had some board game that had The Model and I would always proclaim him my favourite. Strange kid, I was.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So hands up how many people here, like me, first learned the meaning of the word "arrogance" from Rick Martel.

Brother Love: I'm talking about a dynamic personality ...

Jesse: I didn't know I was on.

Brother Love: I'm not just talking about a great wrestler ...

Vince: Well it's definitely not you now.

LOL, awesome. 1-0 Vince.

Martel seems like he's having a lot of fun playing this character, camping it up to the max.

Martel: A swell smell that makes sense.

Get it? Scents.

I must say, Martel has lovely teeth.

Excellent!

• 1 year later...

I'll agree with Parv that Rick's having fun with this character; it must have been a relief for him to be able to cut loose a little after playing such a bland babyface. The problem was, he never went anywhere; he wasn't even a contender for any titles (except for the IC title battle royal in '93, where he was one of the final two and ended up losing to Razor Ramon). Sure, he got paid for it and everything, but the wrestlers getting bigger paydays doesn't mean anything to the fans unless it translates to a big push on the screen, and in Rick's case, it didn't.

I'm going to miss the back and forth between Vince and the Bod once Jesse leaves; Vince never had a better color man/foil.

• 11 months later...

Rick Martel was such an underrated babyface. Underrated wrestler really, but he's a great heel here. I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with The Model character, but this is awesome. I hate is when commentators talk during promos, it never seems to add anything to the promo. I thought Vince was really annoying here. I've never worn cologne before, do people just spray it in the air and let it fall on them like that?

• 1 year later...

Brother Love says that his guest this week is a man with style, class, exquisite good looks and a dynamic personality, to which Jesse Ventura says ‘I didn’t know I was on?’ However when Love says he’s not just talking about a great wrestler, Vince McMahon quips ‘it’s definitely not you now!’ Love introduces Rick Martel and he’s carrying something underneath a silk blanket. Martel compliments Love on what he’s wearing, his style and how he’s always colour co-ordinated, before revealing ‘Arrogance’, the fragrance of the 90s for the model, the man of the 90s! A swell smell that makes scents! Yves-Saint Lauren, Christian Dior and Calvin Klein move out the way, because here comes the model with Arrogance!

My favourite thing about this was the Ventura and McMahon exchange when Love was introducing the Model.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-10-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Martel
  • 2 years later...