Pro Wrestling Only

• 4 weeks later...

A rather surprising lack of crowd heat considering the history of this feud, but the action is fantastic. Great opening stretch and some surprisingly good bombs thrown by Lane. Gibson rolls up Lane, but with Morton tying up the referee it leaves him open to a racket shot to the head, giving the Midnights the victory. I'd complain about the shitty camera work but I rather liked the effect of the racket going off like a gunshot off-camera.

Funk keeps calling Chris Cruise by the nickname Crispy. I liked Eaton’s version of the backbreaker where he turns into a pinfall attempt but keeps the knee in the back at the same time. Eaton takes a crazy bump off the top rope to the floor outside. That was scary. They really didn’t sell it much though. Cornette gets involves lots which you expect. Camera angle misses finish as they show Cornette on the floor instead of what is happening in the ring. Typical match from these two teams though didn’t seem to have the crowd heat.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the camera intentionally mis the racquet shot, since Turner had changed their rules on weapons shots several times over the years? Really good match. I like to think the reason Eaton took that crazy bump off the top to the floor is because Stan and Corny were goading Bobby backstage that Cactus had taken his spot as the craziest bumper in WCW after the Nestea Plunge spot at the Clash, so this was Bobby throwing down the gauntlet to young Mr. Foley. Really like Funk on commentary. He doesn't really have a great voice for it, but he's able to be funny and informative while also being somewhat neutral towards heels and faces. Wish he would have stuck with it rather than making a dozen depressing comebacks, but what can you do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very good tag match which is what you would expect with these two great teams. I love Funk, but he is bad on commentary here, he speculates that this could be the last match in the Midnight and Rock n Roll Express rivalry when they already have a match scheduled for Wrestle War. Camera was off for the finish which is a little annoying.

• 1 month later...

Where did Cruise come from here? His voice is a tiny bit like Tony Schiavone's.

Morton and Eaton trading big punches was great here.

Lane totally nailes a scoop powerslam on Morton.

Cornette nails Morton with the tennis racket before mugging for the camera as if he wants to say hi to him mum -- great work from him.

"He sneaked in there like a slimy worm" - Funk

Crowd is weirdly dead for this.

Big bump from Eaton to the outside. Finally we get a "rock n roll" chant from the crowd.

Typically MX finish.

I do like the way Funk is calling Cruise "Crispy" all the time.

• 1 year later...

About the best TV match you can expect from these two teams. Every bit of the action was superb; my favorite part was the Morton/Eaton slugfest where they wound up from the top of the bleachers and absolutely murdalized each other. Corny was on his A game as well, interfering at just the right times. Like almost everyone else, I'm not sure why the camera was on Corny outside while the racquet was being used; I'd like to think that it was just a mistake, because a Turner ban on shots with "international objects" being shown on camera would be ridiculous.

Liked Terry on commentary here, particularly his shots at Corny. As for Cruise, we didn't get off on the right foot. He sounds like a more self-important Sean Mooney, which is exactly what the NWA doesn't need at the moment. His worst comment was "If you (Terry) are gonna sing every time (Ricky and Robert) come out, I hope they lose!", particularly in the angry tone he used. If they're going for a Vince/Jesse vibe, they've got a long, long way to go. (By the way, Laney, it was Cruise, not Terry, who said that this match could be the final chapter of the MX/Rock 'n' Roll feud. He corrected himself a couple of moments later and hyped the WrestleWar match.)

• 10 months later...

Yes, this is why I got the set. I had never seen this one before but knew the match existed because of the US tag tournament. For the life of me, I can't remember ever hearing Crispy on commentary before. 1990 was a great year for the Midnights, and for the NWA tag scene as a whole. Lots of great matches and one last run for both of these teams. Cornette "oozes into the picture like a rancid piece of meat."

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-10-NWA-Worldwide] Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express
  • 2 years later...

Non-stop action here. Midnights vs Rock n' Rolls is magic guaranteed, and this fun, frenetic sprint is no different. Eaton takes a CRAZY bump from the turnbuckle to the outside. Stan Lane's 'karate' and swivelling hips are a sight to behold. In typical WCW fashion the production crew miss the finish but the Midnight's stamp their ticket to the US tag tourney semi-finals. A blast.

• 2 years later...