Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-17-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Ted DiBiase, Slick & Akeem

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Shockingly good promos from Slick and Akeem. Slick actually shows some fire here instead of just being a cartoon stereotype. Ted DiBiase comes out, gives lip service to the Jake feud, and then offers Akeem a bounty cash incentive to take out the Boss Man for him.

This whole angle held up much better than I remembered. A rare instance of feuds in the WWF overlapping with one another and other characters getting drawn in to an existing program--booking that I've always liked.

• 3 weeks later...

Vince wants to hit Brother Love with a pie for some reason. Bruce Prichard is probably thanking his lucky stars that he was an on camera personality when he was, because 7-8 years later, if Vince came to the arena and decided they were going to hit Brother Love with a pie, by golly they were going to hit the guy with a pie.

Good promo by all involved. Akeem stops being a cartoon for just a minute and cuts an intense promo on the Big Boss Man. Too bad the Boss Man/DiBiase program didn't really amount to much. It just kind of fizzled out by summer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When I was a kid, my brother and I would watch Akeem promos over and over again just cracking up at his dancing. I still think it's one of the funniest gimmicks ever. Just something about the way he moves.

Akeem is not a bad interview at all.

His DiBiaseness turns up now. This is the classic Million Dollar Man costume in my eyes, with the black suit and the gold lapels.

Brother Love is pretty funny as a suck up here.

• 1 year later...

Slick's opening line sounded like "Good goobledy goo!" What is it about Vince and managers not named Heenan (or Sherri) being literally unintelligible? Fuji's got a Japanese accent six feet thick, Jimmy Hart sounds more and more like he's got his underwear bunched around his ears, and Slick talks like he's got a mouth full of fried chicken and watermelon with buttermilk pancakes on the side (racial stereotyping intentional). Give me Corny, Ole, Woman, and Peanuthead Teddy Long any day!

Gang (which is who he'll always be in my eyes) might have cut the best promo of the month in the WWF here. I was almost disappointed to see Teddy come out and cut him off. I agree with those above me who liked the fact that the Jake/DiBiase issue and the Bossman/Gang issue intersected. Usually, the WWF at this time kept feuds isolated so the little Hulksters wouldn't have to think too much, poor darlings.

Why on earth did they keep Brother Love's music playing all through his show? They've never done that for anyone else before or since that I know of.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brother Love’s guests this week are Slick and Akeem. Love says how last time Slick was on his show he was treated unfairly by the Big Boss Man. Slick says that ‘the brother’ should never have trusted that red neck from Cobb County, GA in the first place, but that’s alright, because in Akeem he has a man he can trust and a man who will stand by his side. Slick tells the Boss Man he showed how tough he was with a 130lb manager, so now he’s challenging him to step in the ring with a man that is bigger, badder and better than he could ever dream of being. Akeem says that when they were in the Twin Towers it was he who carried the team every night and if he wants to be a hero, how is he going to do it stretchered out in the hospital bed? He made a mistake by putting his hands on Slick and its payback time now! Ted Dibiase and Virgil then make their way out to join them on the show. Dibiase says that when Jake Roberts stole his Million Dollar belt, the Big Boss Man was too stupid to take the money and that makes him an accessory to the crime. He promises Slick that there will be a great deal of added incentives for Akeem if he takes out the Big Boss Man before whispering something in both of their ears. Slick and Akeem take some dollars off Virgil whilst Dibiase cackles ‘that everybody has a price for the Million Dollar Man’.

A rare good promo from Slick and a nice cameo from Dibiase as well. I like the way that they overlapped the Dibiase/Roberts and Boss Man/Slick and Akeem feuds here.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-17-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Ted DiBiase, Slick & Akeem