Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-17-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Sting

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Sting does his first interview post-injury. I don't know if they exaggerated for effect, but he originally was going to be out 6 - 12 months. Sting gives his endorsement to Luger, despite the two of them not being friends, and says he may be at ringside at Wrestle War.

I don't know exactly what specific injury Sting suffered, but if it was an ACL tear then 6-12 months is about right. Sting says he doesn't have great feelings for Luger, but he's pulling for Lex as he's the lesser of two evils compared to Flair. Sting's status as a draw has always been in question but interviews like this illustrate the difference between him and the WWF's attempted '90s star. Imagine what the Warrior would be like in this setting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sting claims that the doctor's say he will be out for 6 months to a year, but we all know that he came back quite a bit sooner than that, so I wonder what the real diagnosis was. He doesn't give Luger as much support as I would expect. Good promo from Sting here.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very sportslike interview from JR and Sting here. I agree that Sting struck all the right notes, especially since he wasn't coming back any time soon and Luger's rather rushed face turn hadn't begun yet, though it would a little later in the same show.

Sting also echoes what Flair himself has often said: without the belt, he's lost. That puts over Flair's desperation to hang onto it against Luger, and also further explains the turn on Sting himself. Good job all around.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sting has just had surgery on his knee and he knew that when he first blew it out it was bad and that he wouldn’t be able to wrestle Ric Flair for the World title. Depression set in as he wanted it so bad, but when he went to the doctors in Corpus Christi and they finally wheeled him out to his hotel room and on the way he saw all those children with their faces painted shouting ‘get well Sting’, it kept his head above water. The doctors are saying he will be out of wrestling for 6-12 months, but his attitude is that he’ll be back sooner and isn’t going to listen to the doctors. Due to his injury Lex Luger will be replacing him at Wrestle War. He doesn’t care for Luger, but cares for Ric Flair even less and hopes that Luger will take the title from him. He doesn’t yet know if he will be at ringside, but if he gets the opportunity, he will be.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-17-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Sting