Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-17-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Louisville Slugger: Lex Luger ... The Four Horsemen Stop By

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Lex Luger makes his first appearance on the yearbook, and this is the first time a yearbook has really caught him at his peak. Before he can even get a full sentence out, the Horsemen are out as a unit. Ole does the talking for the group, and they put the pressure on Luger to bow out of the match with Flair at Wrestle War. They demand an answer by the end of the show. Luger assures them they'll get it.

Funny moment when Flair trips leaving the ring and Luger has trouble keeping a straight face.

Another great segment.

Hate to see the Luger heel run come to an end, but they really didn't have a lot of options with this little time to build a strong main event.

Luger and Cornette have barely begun when the Horsemen come out. Ole rehashes the Clash interview (and is somewhat self-referential about doing so), giving a fun dickish ultimatum to Luger about giving up the title shot--was the Horsemen plan just for Flair to never defend the title again or what? Luger laughs Ole off to the delight of the crowd. Flair slips off the apron, and that makes the crowd pop even bigger!

Fun stuff with Luger still doing his cocky act but turning it against the 4H was quite the effective way to get him back to the babyface side quickly. This was so much more sensical and organic than Luger going from the Narcissist to humble Made in the USA in the span of two seconds. It's still another career trajectory fucked up by the Sting injury, but WCW was in full damage control mode by this point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Luger's cheered by at least some of the people before he even opens his mouth.

Ole's very good as the consigliere of the Horsemen, and even though he won't wrestle much anymore after WrestleWar, he's a very believable tough guy manager type. Still would have liked to hear from Flair, though.

Corny obscured Ric's slip off the apron from the camera's view, but the people sure saw it, and they went ballistic.

I like smirking Luger here; it's as if he's saying, "You've gotta be kidding me, right? I know how you work, I used to run with you. And if you think you can scare me, think again!"

The only false note was Luger saying the stuff about setting deadlines instead of meeting them, then promising an answer by the end of the show as the Horsemen demanded. He should have tried to make them wait until the following week, then fought off a beatdown when they objected. That's a minor flaw in an excellent segment, though.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lex Luger is the guest on this week’s Louisville Slugger. Cornette says that he will be facing Ric Flair for the World title on the 25th, but that match was a jinx for Sting and it might be for him too. He asks him for his thoughts, but before Lex can really respond the Horsemen and Woman are out and join them in the ring. Cornette is pretty funny here, sucking up to them and saying how he is fans of theirs. Ole tells Luger that nothing is going to happen to him, but there are three of them and one of him so he better just listen. A lot of people are trying to do something to the Horsemen that the Horsemen don’t like. Sting was given his warning, but he made a big mistake and is now sitting in a hospital somewhere. The Steiners not too long ago didn’t want to listen; he doesn’t know where they are now and doesn’t care. He’s got a match with Ric Flair on the 25th and instead of a couple of hours like they gave Sting, they’re giving Lex until the end of the show. A man has to realise his limitations. Why doesn’t he think what his limitations are where the Horsemen are concerned, and before this program is over, let Ric Flair, Jim Ross or someone know that he’s going to give up that contract for the match with Flair at Wrestle War. Ole says that they leave in peace, but make sure that you make the right decision! Cornette asks Luger what he’s going to do and he says that the Horsemen obviously haven’t done their homework as he doesn’t meet deadlines, he sets them, but they will have their answer at the end of the hour. Hmmm, if you don’t meet deadlines why are you going to give them their answer when they want it?

Ole is tremendous here and rather than keep a straight face or play it serious, Luger smirks at his ultimatum. The old pro that he is though, Ole handles that with aplomb and works it into his promo. It was weird seeing Flair out there and not saying anything mind. It was slightly obscured, but I think Flair slips when getting out of the ring which elicits a pretty loud response from the crowd. Excellent segment.

• 1 month later...

I was amused by Ole getting legit pissed at Lex for smirking. Ole is such a fun promo and I'm not sure if Lex coulcn't help himself or was egging him on. I'm still not sure how Ole could have lasted as a babyface. He's just so great at coming across as a cortchedy, angry, violent old man.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-17-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Louisville Slugger: Lex Luger ... The Four Horsemen Stop By