Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-23-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Last few minutes of a match from the Dallas Sportatorium. We didn't have the full match unfortunately.

Great stuff with Lawler throwing punches then mocking Dundee's selling, only for Dundee to finally deck him. There's a ref bump before Lawler gets the win and Gaylord interferes to hit Dundee, and this is really a match I wish we had in full.

Lawler gets in a few potshots toward the crowd as a parting gift.

Lawler takes one moment too many to mock Dundee's punchdrunkenness and pays for it. As Dundee applies a spinning toe hold, Lawler kicks him into the referee and in a dramatic twist, finds a foreign object other than a chain to use--in this case, taking off his boot and clobbering Dundee with it for the pin. Lawler then announces to the crowd that he's realized the source of the smell he'd been noticing throughout the match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is the conclusion of last week’s match. Lawler decks Dundee with a right then starts mocking him by staggering around. Dundee starts swinging but doesn’t connect and Lawler picks him off again before continuing to mock. He does it again but eventually Dundee catches him. Dundee unloads on him in the corner until The King retaliates with a jab to the mid-section. He climbs to the middle turnbuckle but misses a knee drop and Dundee follows up with a spinning toe hold. Lawler shoves Dundee with his other foot into referee Tony Falk knocking him down, then takes off his boot and clobbers Dundee with it. Falk comes round to count the fall while The King hooks the tights to retain the USWA title.

I have a hunch I’m going to get pretty fed up with the ‘referee distracted/knocked out, Lawler nails opponent with an illegal object for the pin’ finish by the time the year is out. Despite hating the finish, what aired was really good. Especially liked the section when Lawler was mocking Dundee with the punch drunk staggering, Dundee was swinging for the hills until he eventually caught The King.

• 1 month later...

Lowrance at one point (I forget if it's this match) covers for all of these nonsense ref bumps by saying Lawler favors targeting the ref as a tactic. Really good work by both Lawler and Dundee, doesn't come close to the LLT "eye" match on the Memphis set though.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-23-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee