Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-24-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Jake Roberts & Big Boss Man

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

I like Jake and Boss Man as a tandem. Boss Man has enough of Brother Love's mouth and handcuffs him to the railing, then drags him to the ring and gives him his finisher before dropping a ball and chain on him, which is a little excessive for a harmless sleazebag televangelist. Bruce Pritchard played this gimmick like a champ, whether you love or hate it.

The only thing lower than a snake is a law enforcement officer who won't take money. That draws the ire of the Boss Man, who takes Brother Love to "jail."

Seeing Brother Love get abused was always a highlight for me. Count me in as one who saw Prichard as walking the perfect line between "heel heat annoying" and "change the channel annoying."

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah after seeing the abomination of the Heartbreak Hotel on the 1994 yearbook I have enjoyed the Brother Love segments and him getting pushed around is always a highlight. Jake was always my favorite as a kid along with Hogan and its nice to see his stuff hold up around the time I started watching unlike whiny Hogan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More fun from these guys. Roberts matches words with Brother Love. Boss Man is guest of Jake and hits a one liner before him and Roberts leave. Love runs his mouth thinking they are out of range. Not too smart when you are talking on a mic in an arena. Bossman returns and promptly arrests Brother Love ands beats him up.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I love that Brother Love says "Brother Million Dollar Man", totally ridiculous.

His face is redder than a tomato here. I think Bossman comes across like a bully here, picking on Brother Love. Ventura is always totally in the right -- I thought it when I was a kid and I think it now. WWF morality was all messed up.

I actually wanted DiBiase and Virgil to do a save here. This is absolutely dispicable! There should be fines and suspensions!

• 1 year later...

For a non-wrestler, Bruce takes bumps rather well.

They really should have kept The Snake Pit, since Jake was their best all-around talker after Piper retired. If Vince had to have Brother Love, he should have stayed on Challenge, with either Jake or Rod doing their Pit on Superstars.

Vince has almost too good a time mocking Brother Love here. Then again, Brother Love was one of the few characters whom babyface Vince could feel superior to. The highlight of the segment was Vince's mocking "I LOOOOOOVE YOU!" at the end. The only thing that would have made it better was if he would have tried the accent.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brother Love says that recently the Million Dollar Man had some property stolen from him, but at Wrestlemania VI he’ll get his property back as he’ll take on his guest this week, Jake ‘The Thief’ Roberts. Jake looks pretty hot coming out and Love is straight in his face saying that he’s nothing more than a thief. Jake says that if a man dares him to do something… Ted Dibiase asked him to come and take it and he did exactly that. He doesn’t have to wait until Wrestlemania if he wants it back, it’s right in the bag, come and get it.

Jake says the only reason he came on the show was to introduce the people to a man, a man who can’t be bought, a man that stands up for what he believes in, not a changed man, but a boss man, a Big Boss Man. The Boss Man joins them and Jake says how you can’t pay him a little cash and get him to roll over and do tricks; he stands on his own two feet. The two of them leave the stage and when he sees they’re gone, Love starts insulting them both. He says that one of the lowest forms of life is a snake, but there is one thing lower than a snake and that’s a law enforcement officer who won’t take money! The Boss Man clearly wasn’t far enough out of ear shot as he returns and Love tries to back track claiming that he wasn’t talking about him. Boss Man cuffs Love to a guard rail before going to the back to get a ball and chain. He uncuffs Love, drags him to the ring, gives him a slam before finally dropping the ball and chain on his chest.

Nice way to cement the Boss Man’s face turn with the endorsement from Jake and then beating up an annoying and obnoxious character like Brother Love. Good promo from Jake here, but I wish the Boss Man had been a bit more careful with that ball and chain. When he returns from the back he drops it on the floor and you can see the ball bounce. If only Love had been watching as closely as me he wouldn’t have been quite as scared of it!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-24-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Jake Roberts & Big Boss Man