Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-03-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior promos

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

I'm flabbergasted that they would even allow this Warrior promo to air, especially in contrast to the Hogan one preceding. If one didn't know better they'd swear they were prepping for a Warrior heel turn, which isn't the effect you want to create for what is ostensibly your heir to the #1 Babyface throne. Warrior delivers a BDSM-tinged promo talking about how he needs no help from the normals and thrives on combat and talks of poisoning Hulkamania, and for the hell of it takes a potshot at "the God that you speak of, Ho Kogan."

At age 8 I had not yet turned on Hogan at this point, and really wouldn't at all until his comeback in '93 and not fully until his arrival in WCW. But this is where I started turning on the Warrior.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok promo by Hulk at least showing some semblance of humbleness.

Warrior is crazy as hell saying he wants to be spoken to like the God that Hulk speaks of. Anyone against having some writers on WWE staff currently should watch this shit as it is really tough to get behind anyone in this feud and we have only seen this meta, ego driven promos so far.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anybody has brought this up yet, since I try not to read too far ahead on these, but I think these promos are suffering from a lack of a real issue for either guy to talk about. I mean, Hogan's previous Wrestlemania matches had actual issues. What was the issue here? They briefly fought in the Royal Rumble (as did a bunch of other guys, and none of them used that as the basis of a Wrestlemania feud) and because they had a brief miscommunication after they had squashed Mr. Perfect and The Genius in a tag team match? Without anything to talk about, it's causing both guys to go off into some really weird directions (not that Warrior needed a lot of prodding, but still) in an attempt to make the match seem "epic," but instead, it's making both men look like psychopaths. I guess there is an appeal to watching two vain psychopaths fight on PPV, but it hasn't really worked for me so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm absolutely convinced now that Vince was thinking right up until Mania of turning Warrior heel, but chickened out. Why else would they let Warrior's promos air as is? He wants to be talked to like God? He wants to poison Hulkamania? What the hell kind of talk is this for your new top babyface, anyway?

The only other answer is that Vince was trying to subtly bury Hogan and Hulkamania because he didn't think they'd be needed anymore after Mania, that Warrior could do the job of champion in its entirety and Hogan would just quietly ride off into the sunset. Make Warrior look like a god come to life and Hogan look almost embarrassingly mortal and the kiddies would go nuts for Warrior and forget Hogan, or so the thinking might have gone. We saw how that worked out, didn't we? And after weeks of promos like this, how could Vince reasonably expect anything else?

Only four weeks till Mania, thank heaven.

• 11 months later...

Not sure if anybody has brought this up yet, since I try not to read too far ahead on these, but I think these promos are suffering from a lack of a real issue for either guy to talk about. I mean, Hogan's previous Wrestlemania matches had actual issues. What was the issue here? They briefly fought in the Royal Rumble (as did a bunch of other guys, and none of them used that as the basis of a Wrestlemania feud) and because they had a brief miscommunication after they had squashed Mr. Perfect and The Genius in a tag team match? Without anything to talk about, it's causing both guys to go off into some really weird directions (not that Warrior needed a lot of prodding, but still) in an attempt to make the match seem "epic," but instead, it's making both men look like psychopaths. I guess there is an appeal to watching two vain psychopaths fight on PPV, but it hasn't really worked for me so far.

Yes, 100%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-03-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior promos