Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-03-ICW-TV] Diamond District: Pink Assassin

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

They show a clip of the Pink Assassin, whose so impressive, what with his headscissors and eye raking, and not being able to sustain any offense for any length of time. 80s death-and-destruction synth music plays while they show this footage, and this gets increasingly bizarre.

We missed The Wrestling School Dropout last week, but this week, The Pink Assassin is here. Pink Assassin works a very gay gimmick. I love, "You don't know a wristlock from a wristwatch? How does that sound, sassy?" He ends up getting attacked for daring to put his hands on whoever this host guy is.

HOMOPHOBIA~!

The Pink Assassin minces around the ring while raking eyes and straddling his opponent on pin attempts. I love that they don't bother to edit this into a real music video, they just take footage and hit the Demo button on a Yamaha keyboard lay a synth track on top of it.

Diamond Jim(?) says that he intends to "straighten this guy out." The Assassin, whoever he is, plays the gimmick to the hilt and declares that he is from Fire Island, New York--"and judging by that cowboy hat and that shirt, you've been there a time or two yourself!" Diamond Joe doesn't want to be touched by this guy and assaults him for doing it too often, repeats the "straighten this guy out" line, and gives him a spanking.

Holy shit, I barely know what to say. Even in a not-overly-tolerant world like professional wrestling, Diamond Bill is about the most heelish babyface in history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The video may be one of the most bizarre things I have seen with the music sounding like a Dungeon of Doom skit. Then Homophobia runs wild as Diamond Joe is ready to straighten this guy out. Really weird segment overall and who the hell is the wrestling school dropout.

Supposedly Paul E used the template of the wrestling school drop out for Mikey Whipreck in ECW.

• 4 weeks later...

What an odd music video for the Pink Assassin. It's pretty much just him beating up a dude with pedestrian looking offense whose tights read "Looking Good," I assume because "Looking Pedestrian" would have cost too much.

Afterwards we get some good ol' fashioned gay bashing. Fun for the whole family! Diamond guy even spanks the guy, perhaps signaling that he's a self-loathing closeted gay dude?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What an odd music video for the Pink Assassin. It's pretty much just him beating up a dude with pedestrian looking offense whose tights read "Looking Good," I assume because "Looking Pedestrian" would have cost too much.

Afterwards we get some good ol' fashioned gay bashing. Fun for the whole family! Diamond guy even spanks the guy, perhaps signaling that he's a self-loathing closeted gay dude?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the spanking.

• 1 year later...

What the hell was that? I've seen strange in my days as a fan, but this takes the cake. Was this Diamond Jim Brady a wrestler? Did this lead to a match or program? Or was this just some guy's idea of a cheap thrill? I know I didn't recognize either Brady or the Pink Assassin, which can only be a good thing, considering what I saw.

No wonder ICW didn't last.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I actually thought this was Terry Funk at first until he introduces himself as ‘Diamond’ Jim Brady. This week’s guest on the ‘Diamond District’ is The Pink Assassin, but before he makes his appearance, Brady has some tape of him in action that he would like us to see. The video has some weird synth track over the top and the Assassin minces around the ring, struggles to run the ropes and straddles his opponent for the pin after a sloppy neckbreaker.

Back on the District and Brady says how last week he had The Wrestling School Dropout as a guest and he thinks he straightened him out pretty good, well he’s one more knucklehead to straighten out, The Pink Assassin! The Assassin is tiny and working every gay stereotype you can think of. Brady wonders where on earth did he come from? Greenwich Village of San Francisco? The Assassin says he comes from Fire Island, NY, and with his cowboy hat and little outfit it looks like he’s been there quite frequently! Brady tells him to keep his hands off him or he’ll have no nose left! He disputes that the Assassin is a wrestler, thinking that he knows nothing about getting in a ring and kicking some butt. The Assassin tells Brady that he doesn’t know a wristlock from a wristwatch and then Brady threatens to break his wrist on national TV. The Assassin starts pointing his finger at ‘Diamond’ Jim and then squeezes his cheeks. He hadn’t heeded the warning! Brady starts hitting The Assassin around the head with his cowboy hat and punching him a few times, before putting him over his shoulder, smacking his backside and carrying him off set saying he’s going to straighten him out!

I don’t know what to say about this! For a start the Pink Assassin is dreadful, both as a wrestler and a talker. This came across as something off ‘amateur hour’ and it was as if they’d just picked someone off the street and stuck a mask on them. Then we get to the character of The Pink Assassin. He’s gay, so how shall we do this? I know we’ll dress him in pink, have him talk in a camp way, mince around and use extravagant hand gestures and mannerisms. We’ll also have the tough host get offended if they gay man puts his hands on him! Then to top it all off, the skit closes with Brady saying how he’s going to ‘straighten him out’! Well I’d really like to know how he was intending to do that! And this aired just twenty five years ago? Unebelievable!

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-03-ICW-TV] Diamond District: Pink Assassin