Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-19-WWF-MSG, NY] Ultimate Warrior vs Mr Perfect

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Warrior is blown up before they even lock up. Perfect seems to realize this and slows things down at first to buy him some time. Warrior does a sunset flip, which surprises me. This isn't really a good match, but Perfect tries hard and takes some of his trademark exaggerated bumps that normally annoy me, but work here. The camel clutch spot was so long that I suspect it may still be going on. I don't think I remembered just how horrible Warrior was in the ring. It definitely puts his better matches in perspective.

Perfect's bumps are big but not too ridiculous here. This is safely on the line of bumping to make the opponent look good and not bumping to draw attention to oneself, which would be understandable when facing a guy like the Warrior. This is much better with Perfect on top and Warrior underneath, at least until the chinlock--Warrior busting out the sunset flip was a pleasant surprise. The megapush for the Warrior is on as he beats Perfect down and wins decisively going into WM6.

This is definitely a case of Perfect dragging something average-ish out of a Warrior who did him few favors, and speaks well for him as a worker in the WWF when my opinion of Mr. P had been reaching a nadir as of late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They talk about Hennig’s perfect record. Didn’t he lose to Hogan already? Maybe hasn’t been shown on TV yet. Perfect stupidly does a criss cross with Warrior at the beginning and pays for it. They really got rid of all the various people who would be ringside at MSG shows. I don’t even see the commentators out there. Warrior with the sunset flip! Perfect did a weird sell of it. Must have been ribbing. Warrior’s arm came pretty close to dropping a third time on chinlock. Warrior Up and there goes Mr. Perfect’s winning streak again.

I liked Perfect's cartwheel bump to the floor that opened the match. That one got me to rewind and watch it again. The rest of it...well, it was an Ultimate Warrior match, with Perfect doing what he can to make it not suck. I'm not entirely sure he succeeded but damned if he didn't try. I do like the announcers on commentary putting over the win for Warrior as a stepping stone towards getting ready for Wrestlemania, in what may be one of the few times I praise a commentary trio that includes Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes, and Hillbilly Jim.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is Curt's first televised loss, or at least the first one shown. I feel better about him losing his perfect record to Warrior, who was being built for Mania VI, than I did his losing his first pay-per-view match to Beefcake, who was an upper midcarder at best, at least as things turned out. (I know he was supposed to get the IC belt a few months later before he got hurt, but if he'd really been worth putting a belt on, Vince would have let him win it two years earlier instead of swapping him out for Warrior.)

At any rate, Warrior shows a little more than his standard power match here, though not much, and Curt's bumping, which many say is too theatrical, fits well. As for the commentary, Lord Alfred's gushing over Mr. Perfect was a bit much (A great role model for America's youth? The man of the nineties? Come now, your Lordship), and he called Hillbilly Jim "Billy", which Jim and Gino thankfully no-sold. This was about the time he started switching personas from face to heel to neutral and back like undershirts, and it's disconcerting to hear. He was much better when he played it straight several years before.

Not a bad match for what it was designed to do, and I wish we could have gotten more from these two during Warrior's title reign.

• 1 year later...

I'm not big on liking things for novelty value, but Warrior is one of those things. It's so funny that she blown up before the match starts. Mr Perfect criss-crossing the ropes with Warrior was also funny, and very dangerous. I did like the role reversal where usually it's a monster heel who's undefeated and finally loses to a smaller babyface.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-19-WWF-MSG, NY] Ultimate Warrior vs Mr Perfect
  • 2 months later...

Warrior is blown up within 3 seconds of hitting the ring which may be a new record. Perfect really tries here, in a way I'm not sure I've seen anyone try to shine a turd before. He bumps huge, he attempts to slow the pace to make everything, uses a great mix of comedy, stalling and heel offense that it was really impossible for Warrior to fuck up. An admirable carry job that also did its job to build toward Mania.

• 4 years later...