Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-23-EMLL] Jerry Estrada vs El Satanico

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Absolute classic match. I like how violent this gets without even drawing blood. Estrada gives the best performance I've ever seen from him, taking great bumps, working nifty submissions and highspots, and directing traffic perfectly. It's obvious he's the one calling this, and his sense of timing in terms of knowing just the right moment to cut off Satanico's comebacks or stop his own offense is pretty close to perfect. It's odd to see him having a great match where he's actually coherent and trying instead of just doing it in spite of being stoned and going on instinct.

This is nearly a half-hour of two guys throwing the kitchen sink at each other, pulling on every resource they have -- wrestling, flying, brawling and smarts -- to try to keep an advantage. For most of this, Estrada outclasses Satanico, but when the stakes go up in the final fall, he finds it a little harder to finish the job. A fan (I think?) runs in and tries to keep Estrada from going to the top rope, but he keeps his cool. Satanico ends up getting lucky, catching Estrada slightly off guard with a backslide to secure the win.

This is probably the best one-sided match I've ever seen. Yes, Satanico got in some offense, but it was kept short, and most of the match really went to Estrada, who gave one of the best performances I have ever seen in a wrestling match.

Estrada loses his hair in the post-match, but can't decide if he wants to accept his fate or start a fight. Really great in every way possible, and one of the best matches of the year so far, if not the best.

Super hot start as an Estrada sneak attack backfires and he takes a requisitely loony bump over the turnbuckles to the floor, and Satanico follows with a nasty dive that more or less clinches the first fall, as a nudo gets the submission. Estrada comes back to nearly break his own neck doing a somersault plancha, but is able to beat the count back in to even things up. Total fucking war of attrition follows, with Estrada maintaining control but seemingly botching every chance he has to put Satanico away for good. In the end the vet just has too many counters in his holster and gets in a backslide when he needed it to score the 3. Estrada looks strong as it appeared that one more big move would put Satanico down, but it never came. Definite MOTYC, which came through even though I was interrupted between falls for about 9 hours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought there was some type of editing to JIP. First fall happens so fast. I actually missed it and had to rewind. Santico takes a good whack to the head on an Estrada dive and gets counted out. Believable finish for the second fall. Feeling that there is not enough venom for a hair match but things do get more aggressive in the third fall.

There seems to be some type of commotion going on in the crowd. Wait, what that some legit fan that tried to stop Estrada from climbing to the top? Funny if it is. Everyone seemed to make it seem like no big deal though. I'll give this another watch at some point as I wasn't see this as great as you guys. I think I was expecting more blood type violence.

Yeah, I enjoyed this, but I'm not sure if I'd rank it among the best matches I've seen on the set so far. Estrada is great in this and takes some fantastic bumps, and Satanico takes his share of nutty bumps as well, and as a guy who loves bumping, that made me smile.

As a lucha novice, what exactly did Estrada do to get the crowd so worked up in the third fall? Even before the fan hit the ring, it appeared Estrada did something as the crowd started throwing drinks towards the ring and everything.

Love the post-match with Estrada starting out like he's the better man and will take his haircut like a man, then loses his nerve halfway through and starts acting nutty and not wanting any more cut. Seemed to fit his gimmick as a crazy cokehead nutjob to a t.

• 2 weeks later...

Heated rivalry going on. First 2 falls were brawling lucha, which I'm not usually crazy about. It worked OK here. Picked up significantly in the tercera with more submissions, close near falls and severe exhaustion selling. The selling felt a little OTT, fun though it was. Had the base engaged me I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher, so I can appreciate why others would tag it as a MOTYC.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm the minority, but I didn't see anything special in this. I mean, it wasn't bad, but I didn't come away feeling like I just watched a classic match. Granted, I haven't seen a ton of lucha, but I've seen enough to know the differences in the culture, etc. I may try to give it a re-watch while more alert and see if I enjoy it more.

• 1 year later...

I liked this one a lot, particularly the third fall where Estrada tries to tear Satanico's arm off, essentially trying to make him choose between saving his arm or his hair. Of course, the match takes its toll on Estrada too, as he misses several dives (at least one of them because of fan interference) that might have won the match for him. Finally, it's an arm-based pinning move, the backslide, that spells the end for Estrada, and it hurts Satanico to have to use it, as he continues to sell the injury in the postmatch celebration.

My biggest complaint, and one that hurts the match, is the failure to fully follow through on the stip. Estrada's not even close to totally shaved when he leaves the ring, and by all appearances he's allowed to get away with it. If I'd been in attendance that night, I would have demanded a refund. I just hope he showed up on TV the next week completely bald. The weird thing about it is that the hair match, from what I've heard, is supposed to be lucha's "court of last resort" for hot feuds which don't involve masked wrestlers, the one match that's supposed to settle everything. Is Estrada's hair somehow important to his persona? If it is, why book a hair match in the first place and make him the loser?

Great wrestling, but failure to deliver as advertised lands this match in the middle of the pack so far.

Whenever a luchadore loses a hair match they end up fully shaven. Some hair matches are the culmination of a heated feud or part of an ongoing rivalry. Others are thrown out there with very little build. Estrada's hair was part of his persona, but that's not important. Hair is hair as far as apuesta matches go. It doesn't really matter whether it's a big part of your look. It's a matter of pride.

• 1 year later...

This is my favorite lucha match so far. The pacing and arm work felt a bit more comfortable to me. The 2/3 falls still throws me off because they aren't really built like American 2/3 falls matches are, so that's still a struggle, but I feel like I'm learning. Jerry Estrada seemed out of his mind at times, and I've heard people say that he was s guy who really struggled with things outside the ring, but he was good and took some gnarly bumps. Cool.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved Estrada taking advantage of the shoulder he injured to end the second fall. Satanico fighting through it and avoiding Estrada's attempts at finishing him definitively long enough to catch him off-guard was a great, meaningful third fall. Satanico the tecnico may be better than Satanico the rudo.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-23-EMLL] Jerry Estrada vs El Satanico