Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-30-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett & Bill Dundee vs Robert Fuller & Brian Lee

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

The Stud Stable haven't broken up in Dallas yet, only Memphis, which is why you see them teamed here. I love Fuller selling the armbar by screaming "Woah, Dear God!" Dundee and Jarrett do the switcheroos in armbars behind the referee's back without tagging. Dundee is FIP. Good match, just by working the tag formula really well. The Studs make the breakup official in Texas in the post-match, when Fuller blames Lee for the loss and turns on him after the match.

Best USWA Texas bout yet. Surprisingly Lee works the bulk of this and looks like a perfectly acceptable wrestler--clearly this was the better role for him than lead babyface of SMW. Dundee gets worked over before tagging in Jarrett, who dodges a loaded boot from Fuller that hits Lee, costing the Stud Stable the match. Several weeks after their breakup in Memphis, they repeat the angle for Texas and Lee eventually runs Fuller off.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see the Stud Stable split in match form vs. the interview segment they did in Memphis. This was a really good match with Lee not looking out of place and Fuller bringing good punches and elbows and some spots with Dundee. I don't know if I liked it as much as some of the other Texas stuff just because of how fond I am of the shtick but this was really good formula wrestling nonetheless. Good pop for Lee when he fights back to.

• 1 month later...

Thought Fuller and Lee were feuding. Guess that is only in Memphis. Fuller and Lee don’t seem to be on the same page. Fuller uses some hair pulling to get the advantage. Heels now starting to work together with some tags. Fuller ends up nailing Lee in error and they lose. Fuller attacks Lee after the match. Well, they were feuding already.

Watching Robert Fuller work with Bill Dundee doesn't even seem fair, he's like two feet taller than him. Fun tag team match that starts with a long period of the babyfaces outsmarting the heels, a nice heat segment on Dundee setting up the hot tag from Jarrett, and then the split finish, which I assume is because Lee has probably finished up in Memphis and they're sending him to Dallas for a while.

I do have a question about running the split Memphis/Dallas territories. You have things like the Studs still being together in Dallas weeks after they split in Memphis, or Lawler holding the Unified title in Dallas when he lost it in Memphis, but at the same time, the Dallas stuff is being televised nationally on cable on ESPN. I know ESPN's penetration isn't what it is now, but clearly SOME people in the Memphis territory probably had access to the network. Wouldn't a lot of this have been confusing for those folks?

• 4 months later...

Watching Robert Fuller work with Bill Dundee doesn't even seem fair, he's like two feet taller than him. Fun tag team match that starts with a long period of the babyfaces outsmarting the heels, a nice heat segment on Dundee setting up the hot tag from Jarrett, and then the split finish, which I assume is because Lee has probably finished up in Memphis and they're sending him to Dallas for a while.

I do have a question about running the split Memphis/Dallas territories. You have things like the Studs still being together in Dallas weeks after they split in Memphis, or Lawler holding the Unified title in Dallas when he lost it in Memphis, but at the same time, the Dallas stuff is being televised nationally on cable on ESPN. I know ESPN's penetration isn't what it is now, but clearly SOME people in the Memphis territory probably had access to the network. Wouldn't a lot of this have been confusing for those folks?

At this time, the syndicated shows for the other towns (Nashville, Louisville, Evansville) were split Half Memphis content, half Dallas. So, pre-internet, if we didnt see it, we didnt know about it. Yeah, the Apter mags kinda would expose shit but by that time, we'd forgotten. Actually, we were kind of used to the way things worked in the territory, what with the same title matches in every town and all that stuff.

ESPN wasnt until about a year later and there was some continuity issues, but once again, you'd just shrug your shoulders and be like "ehhh". Some folks, like me, just made it easy and said "Well, Dallas doesnt count".

• 1 year later...

The best bell-to-bell match yet from the USWA, as this has lots of good action even before the Stud Stable's second breakup. Lee looks like he fits right in with Fuller as a partner, and it's good to see what Jarrett and Dundee can do as a team in a serious setting as opposed to their comedy match from earlier this month with Travis and Garvin.

To add my two cents to the continuity discussion, I can't figure out why Jarrett would run the two halves of his territory as completely different promotions in the age of cable TV. AJ commented that he told himself that Dallas didn't count when faced with things like the different title lineages, two breakups for the Stud Stable, and such. Well, I'm sure Jarrett meant for it to count, but he couldn't (or wouldn't) find a way to unify the booking in such a way as to make sense to both fanbases. If you have to rely on the fans to choose which parts of your overall story to believe and which parts not to believe, your promotion is in big trouble.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-30-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett & Bill Dundee vs Robert Fuller & Brian Lee