Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-31-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior promos

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Warrior FINALLY draws into something resembling focus for his final, least-bad promo, but too little too late.

Hogan tells a bizarre story of riding his Harley Davidson into the waters of Venice Beach and asking God for his fate. The apparent conflict between Hogan's Christianity vs. Warrior's paganism is one worthy of more in-depth discussion than these two are providing. God reassures Hogan that "Hulkamania will never die," and that's all the Hulk needs to hear. Um, I couldn't help but notice that God didn't mention the result of the match itself. Truly setting us up for a painful twist worthy of O. Henry, or Rod Serling. Or more like R.L. Stine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Ultimate Warrior is actually in a world that somewhat resembles our own here, and is not acting completely crazy. Guess somebody told him to dial it back a notch (or 50).

Strangely, it's Hulk Hogan that goes off the rails here, talking about driving his Harley into the Pacific and finding God, who tells him that Hulkamania will live forever. Not if you keep driving your Harley into the Pacific it won't, brother.

• 1 year later...

Boy, am I glad this is the last round of this slop. I can't blame the wrestlers; they're just doing as they're told. This is Vince's vision all the way, and it says something about the charisma of these two that little kids still followed them and found them heroic despite all this mishmash about suicide, destruction, poison dueling forces, gods, and all the rest. Now it's Hogan who's risking suicide seeking affirmation from God. If God spoke to him at all, He probably said, "Remove thy bike from my ocean, O twisted one!"

To sum up, the simple "I'm gonna kick your butt and take your belt" was needed from one of these two about two months ago, but was nowhere to be found or even teased. Only rarely was wrestling even referred to, as even back then Vince grasped futilely for the WWF to mean something greater, more socially acceptable. If this was his idea of how to attain it, no wonder he and his company are a joke to this day.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Warrior says that there are only a couple of sunrises and sunsets left before the greatest battle that shall ever take place will be upon them. Two of the greatest warriors that commanded the greatest forces will face each other. Hulk Hogan will see it in his eyes that he is the chosen one!

Hogan says that this Sunday, he and all his little Hulksters predict that this will be the last sunset for the Ultimate Warrior. Physically he’s ready, the largest arms in the world can handle him at any time! Emotionally and morally, the support he’s got worldwide is unsurpassed at any energy level! Spiritually, he's driven his Harley Davidson into the Pacific and screamed to God ‘what is the destiny of Hulkamania?’ His God looked down and said ‘Hulkster, you were born to rule, Hulkamania will never die!’ That’s all he needed to hear to carry him through the final few hours. This Sunday the Warrior will realise that Hulkamania is the strongest force in the universe and he will become the Ultimate Hulkamaniac and he will be on his side!

Thank God these promos are over!

I feel like they way overthought this feud because they had so much time to eat up in the build... when it really didn't need much build at all. It was an odd situation in that the weeks of stuff like this probably hurt a bit more than helped. If the match happened right after the Rumble with no other build at all I wonder how it does.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-31-WWF-Superstars] Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior promos