Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-14-WWF-Superstars] Dusty Rhodes vs Bobby Salsa

Loss

• 1 month later...

The match never gets started, as Savage attacks Dusty with Sherri's purse. Sapphire is distracted, then Sherri runs in and attacks Sapphire with a shoe. Sapphire is being forced to kiss Savage's foot when Dusty finally recovers and clears the ring. Savage and Sherri must be butter, because they are on a roll!

• 4 weeks later...

Bobby Salsa is a name of a jobber where you know you are just not trying anymore. Cool beatdown by Sherri and Savage and I am shocked by how much I am loving their stuff in 1990 and really how important they still feel by overcoming the shortcomings of the gimmick. Dusty to his credit does look distraught and as soon as he started wailing at Sherri Iknew jesse would lose his shit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m thinking Jesse doesn’t sound like he cares much but does his usual strong comments when he sees the heels suffer injustice. Macho and Sherri attack Rhodes and Sapphire. Sherri really beat up Sapphire here. Sherri has to roll Sapphire over as too heavy to drag her. Dusty comes to the aid of Sapphire before she has to kiss Macho’s feet.

• 1 year later...

This may be the most emotionally invested I've seen Dusty in the WWF. Even during the Bossman feud he laughed and shucked and jived, but not here. I can only imagine how hot this same angle would have been if it had played out in mid-eighties Crockett. Little Jimmy Cornette beating up Baby Doll with a tennis racquet was bad enough, but Sapphire being assaulted by a pair of trained wrestlers? Savage and Sherri both would have been getting legit death threats.

As much as I love Liz with Randy, Sherri fits the heel side of his character better because she's just as crazy, if not more so, than he is. While we're imagining, can't you see Sherri jumping up and down with glee in November of '86 as Savage tries to murder Ricky Steamboat with the ring bell?

As for what we actually saw, Sherri laid in her beating on Sapphire a bit too much, but she was probably so thrilled at getting to do something resembling wrestling that she forgot herself a bit. Sapphire didn't appear to be really hurt, so it wasn't too bad.

When promoters name their jobbers "Bobby Salsa" and such, it's a clue that they're not going to wrestle. I've heard of jobbers with names like that, most of them scheduled right before hot angles on TBS.

I thought Jesse cared as much as he ever did. I liked his taunting Vince with Liz's "interference" at Mania VI (which Vince never got around to addressing one way or the other, for obvious reasons).

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Dusty is schedules to wrestle Bobby Salsa when he gets jumped from behind by Randy Savage who KO’s him with Sherri’s purse. Savage take out the referee and Salsa, and with Sapphire tending to Dusty, Sherri comes out and nails her with a shoe. Sherri lays into Sapphire whil Savage drops a couple of elbows on Dusty before tossing him out of the ring. Sherri chokes Sapphire with her gloves and they then try to get her to kiss Savage’s feet. Dusty is back just in time, manhandling Sherri as Savage gets out of there and the two of them sprint to the back. Dusty cradles Sapphire and looks distraught as he tells the referees who’d come out to help to get away from them.

Good angle but Sapphire isn’t the best, especially when it comes to selling. Sherri also had to roll her over to Savage when they were trying to get her to kiss his feet as she was too heavy to drag, which didn’t look the best. Dusty seemed pretty physical with Sherri here, who herself wasn’t wearing the most ideal of outfits to be getting thrown around the ring in!

• 1 month later...

Sherri has been a legit surprise for me on the 1990 set. I knew from her 80s work that she was great, but she is at times the highlight of the Sherri/Savage connection. Here she is just a monster, kicking the living daylights out of Sapphire and Dusty's response is perfect.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-14-WWF-Superstars] Dusty Rhodes vs Bobby Salsa