Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Jack Tunney! I miss having an authority figure who only makes decisions a few times per year.

I think the thinking behind Title vs Title was to make the match feel even more epic, since a Title vs Title match had never been held before (and really, I think they may have only done it one or two other times since). That said, with hindsight being 20/20, I think it would have been smarter for Rude to drop the IC title to somebody else, which would have further protected Rude as a future challenger for Warrior since he would have never been beat back by Warrior for the IC title, and then have Perfect win the IC belt from that somebody else at Mania. Based on the timeline, I guess Beefcake makes the most sense for that spot.

• 8 months later...

Had to sneak this a glance before catching up to Capitol Combat.

Jack Tunney looks like he's actually be dug up for this appearance. It's like they kept in in a Crypt and wheeled him out once in a while to make these pronouncements.

Also, his voice he vaguley sounds -- super-specific, semi-obscure reference inbound -- like the King of Hearts during the trial in the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, specifically during the trial scene where he says "All persons over a mile high, must leave the court immediately". I did say it was specific.

• 1 year later...

The announcement that Warrior's forfeited the IC title. Gee, what a shock!

I like Cox's thinking here, but the most obvious candidate (based on the fact that he was starting a feud with Rude during the summer of '89) was Piper. The question is: Would Rod have let himself lose on pay-per-view to Hennig at Mania VI? We all know he didn't lay down in any fashion on a major card until Mania VIII, and that was at least partially because Bret was (distant) family.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Tunney says that on April 1 WWF history was made with one man holding both the WWF Intercontinental and WWF World titles. Since no-one man can properly fulfil the requirements needed to defend both titles at the same time, the Ultimate Warrior has surrendered the Intercontinental title to him. He has declared it vacant and ordered a tournament to be held to determine who will be the new champion with the participants to be announced next week.

This looks as though Tunney was reading this off a board somewhere!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-15-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Jack Tunney statement