Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-21-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Nate

Loss

• 1 month later...

Nate comes up just to cover the floor with a plastic tarp, then leaves. He then comes out with a plate of food and wants to talk to Lawler. Nate tells Lawler how much he hates him for what he's done to him. He tells Lawler he wants to feel the same rage once again. He insists on Lawler throwing all of the food in his face and then slapping him. Lawler is happy to oblige him and ends up bullying him around the studio. Nate isn't backing down, and finally, NITRON is out and throws Lawler into the ring. He knocks him out with one HORRIBLE punch. I wish this segment hadn't happened in front of such a heel studio crowd, but Lawler was great in this, and I liked the segment a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Long segment but really great stuff between Nate and Lawler. Nate is someone that you can really resonate with and Lawler is great as a joke bully who is in his mind only obliging to what was requested or expected of him. I wish the payoff would have been someone better than Nitron but that didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of this and I also thought the crowd was really good and heat was through the roof.

• 1 month later...

Nat puts a plastic tarp down on floor in front of announcer desk. He comes out later with food and wants to speak to Lawler. Jerry lets him know that none of this food is to get on him. Lawler is not taking Nate serious at all just laughing and makes jokes as Nate rants on and on about Jerry. Nate wants to feel again when he got food all over himself. Lawler proceeds to smash all the food in Nate’s face as requested. This kind of drags on. End of segment is Nitron showing up to defend Nate and knocking out Lawler.

• 2 weeks later...

Great segment. Nate does a great job building this up, bringing up everything that happened in their last segment together a few months ago, and Lawler is great as the cocky bully all too eager to humiliate poor Nate again. The payoff being Nitron isn't much, as ideally you'd want to see Nate bring back an old Memphis favorite like Mantell, Gilbert, Rich, or somebody else that had a history with Lawler, but with all of those guys presently unavailable (I believe all or most were with WCW at this point), you take what you have, I guess.

• 3 months later...

Wrestling must have been pre-empted this week (or, most likely, I had a wedding to attend and didnt set the VCR correctly) so Ive never seen this. Nate was just...weird in this, almost getting a sexual thrill out of getting smeared and splashed with food (I know theres a term for that fetish but I cant remember it. Maybe I'll watch that one John Waters film with Tracey Ullman that dealt with like every perversion known to man). Nitron rolls in, whiffs on a punch. Lawler oversells this thing to the point that Nitron would have had to hit him with like a five pound weight or something. Dave says Nitron has a FOUR on ONE handicap match?! Nitron was one of the Memphis One Week Wonders, btw.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Just about at the point where I was going to turn this off for being pointless and ridiculous, Nitron comes out and knocks Lawler for a loop. How it is that Nitron, who had no career to speak of except as Nancy Sullivan's bodyguard, gets a full Lawler sell job and legit name wrestlers like JYD are dismissed with racist jokes and basically made to look like crap not fit to breathe Lawler's air, I can't begin to tell you. All this for a rare Memphis one-and-done?

I didn't hear a lot from the crowd as others seemed to; they probably couldn't believe what they'd just seen. I know I didn't.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Nate is back out and he’s carrying a tray of food and drinks. He tells Jerry Lawler that he wants to talk to him and to come up front and out from behind that desk. Lawler looks at the tray and warns Nate that if he’s got it in his pea brain that he’s going to try to throw some of this stuff at him, or if he gets one speck of something on his shirt he’ll beat him to within an inch of his life. He comes out front and Nate says that a few weeks ago Lawler called him on the phone wanting him to be his assistant, or as he thought, his manager. It didn’t take him long to realise that ‘The King’ only wanted a gopher or a stooge, to which Lawler chimes in ‘you were a good one’, but he was happy with that. He sent him to get a McDonalds and while he was gone Kerry Von Erich came out and poured a bucket of water over his head. He then took that out on him when he got back; he hit him in the face with a pie, he degraded and humiliated him. It irks him because when he walks down the street everyone says ‘Nate, come bring me a Big Mac’ and ‘Nate, how about a pie?’ He knows that he can’t beat him up, but what means more to Jerry Lawler than anything in the world is that belt, and if he could just guide or manage someone to take that belt it would satisfy him. Lawler laughs and says how he got Mike Awesome, who had a lot of potential, but with him managing his career he slid down the ladder of success so quickly he got splinters in his butt! He used to be in the main event wrestling him, and now thanks to Nate he’s in the opening matches jerking the curtain!

Nate says that at that moment when Lawler hit him in the face with that pie he learned what hatred was like, because he hates Jerry Lawler and now wants to feel that hatred one more time. Lawler is finding all this extremely funny, but Nate puts on a gown and he wants ‘The King’ to hit him in the face with that Big Mac he bought out. Lawler’s not too keen at first, but Nate keeps asking and goading him saying ‘come on big man!’ He says if it will make him happy though, then rubs the Big Mac in his face. At Nate’s encouragement Lawler then throws fries over him, a coke, he slaps him (because he remembers that he did that), throws the pie in his face (‘The King’ says that was the best thing that happened to Nate as he looked really good for a while…until that pie fell off!) and finally the milk. Lawler’s really enjoying himself by now but Nate is forgetting one more thing that day, he took his fist, beat his brains out and left him lying on the floor, ‘let’s relive that too’! He starts shoving and stalking Nate around the ring, when from behind comes Nitron wearing Ultimate Warrior style face paint. He tosses Lawler into the ring and then nails him with an awkward looking clubbing blow which ‘The King’ takes a nice bump from. Lawler is KO’d cold while Nate berates him with Nitron looking on. We return from a commercial break and Lawler is still out with Sweet Daddy Falcone and Rockin’ Randy tending to him, before literally dragging him to the back.

Good angle but this seemed like it went on far too long. Nate was pretty wooden in his delivery so I don’t know if he was the problem and caused it to drag, or whether it would’ve still been the same with someone else in the role of Lawler’s lackey. ‘The King’ seemed to be enjoying himself for real out there when he was throwing the food over Nate. Nitron was a surprise as I never knew he was in the USWA (which would indicate that he is gone fairly quickly), and wondered what happened to him as he just disappeared from the NWA. The face paint doesn’t work and from that one punch alone you can tell Lawler will need to work miracles to get something passable out of him. Kudos to the sell job for that punch and putting him over so strong originally.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-04-21-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Nate