Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-28-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas

Loss

• 1 month later...

Why does Tony Atlas have to keep talking to us morons? He's traveled the world, and he still hasn't found another man on his level. Phil Apollo is the TRAITOR OF ALL TRAITORS and Vic Steamboat doesn't understand that this is wrestling, not ju-jitsu.

"Ladies, when you see a man like men, don't cha wish you never marry your husbands?"

This promo is proof positive he still could have contributed in a major promotion.

"I AM THE MAN! MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT! I AM THE MAN! GET DOWN YO' KNEES WHEN YOU SEE ME COMIN'. I AM THE MAN! GIVE ME THE RESPECT THAT I NEED!" Holy fuck, Atlas almost has me getting down on my knees. He was probably a horrible worker at this point, but Atlas has been the breakout star of this set for the promos alone--more than Billy Travis and more than Steve Austin. I figured all the Atlas stuff would be for irony purposes like almost every other ICW contribution, but these are legit fantastic and--bears repeating--what a fucking waste Saba Simba was. I'm sincerely glad that Tony got a nice payday out of it, but it'd have been nice to get a nice payday and make an actual contribution to the national scene as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I continue to like these, but continue to wish he was building towards an actual program, rather than just talking about himself. It's too bad he wasn't in an actual territory, like either side of the Memphis territory or Portland or somewhere, maybe even the AWA, because I suspect that would have been a better use of him.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Tony Atlas says here he is again doing something that they told him champions must do, but something that this champion doesn’t like to do, and that is waste his valuable time talking to all these morons out there. There is a bunch of wrestlers in the ICW that have got the audacity to think that they should get in the ring with Tony Atlas. He’s been all over the world and hasn’t met a man yet that could fill his boots, that deserves more recognition, that has won more titles and that has done more in their life than him. He tells the ladies when they see a man like him don’t they wish they hadn’t married their husbands? When you see a man like him you know he deserves the gold, and when you see a man like him you know there is nothing in the ICW, in any other league or any other sport that could produce such an athlete. He is the man! Get on your knees when you see him coming and show him the respect he needs because he is the ICW champion. Don’t think about any other champions because before him there was noen, and after him there will be none. Often imitated, never duplicated, he’s the one, the ICW champion, so bring on all competition if you please!

Another great heel interview from Atlas, but I’m getting slightly bored of these now. It’s like I’ve heard this all before and nothing that he hasn’t said in any of his previous promos. I wish he had a challenger that he could focus on as opposed to these interviews about ‘the man’.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-04-28-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas