Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-29-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Jake Roberts

Loss

• 1 month later...

So apparently this feud begins with Bad News getting a rubber snake and continues with Jake out to defend the honor of Mean Gene Okerlund. Enthralling. I think one big problem is Bad News was always positioned very strongly even when up against Savage and Hogan as a guy who wasn't afraid of anything and didn't back down from anybody, and then they shoot their wad right off the bat by showing him practically having a coronary at the sight of a snake. Why not milk the "is he or isn't he afraid?" factor a little more and pay it off later?

This is a good promo by Jake but I don't recall this feud getting appreciably better. Thankfully Jake would have a much more compelling storyline to come after this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This feud is a pretty big sign that Bad News was on his way out, as you don't spend two and a half years being pushed as a fearless Harlem street brawler, only to be made to look like a pussy who is afraid of rubber snakes, and come back from that. Jake is doing his best to make this a compelling feud, and I liked the little touch with him apologizing to Okerlund, but there isn't much he can do to make this look good.

• 1 year later...

From a rather ridiculous beginning, Jake pulls this feud out of the morass, framing their upcoming confrontation as a test of Bad News the bully's manhood. We took a little bit of a ride through Bizarroland to get here, I suppose, but we're finally where we need to be.

Count me among those who liked Jake's apology to Mean Gene. You don't see wrestlers, even babyfaces, interact with announcers that way often, and it was nice to see it here.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

The interview starts by recapping what happened on Challenge the previous week when Mean Gene presented Bad News Brown with a birthday present and he freaked out over the rubber snake.

Okerlund’s guest this week is Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts. Gene can’t believe Bad News Brown and Jake apologizes for what happened as it was his fault and he shouldn’t be playing games with him out there. He says that Bad News has a real problem. Man, woman or child, they’re all scared of something, be it things that go bump in the night or a shadow down an alley. Bad News tells everyone how tough he is, yet comes out here jerking a little man around? Why doesn’t he jerk him around for a little while? He’ll show him what a man is! The bag he carries is special, the DDT is special, which one is he afraid of? Gene doesn’t want to give Jake any tips, but he gets the impression that Bad News Brown is deathly afraid of snakes. Jake says that most people are and he doesn’t carry that bag around for his health, so he will see him again.

Agree with the point about how Bad News has been pushed ever since his arrival as this tough Harlem Street Fighter and here he is practically having a coronary at the sight of a rubber snake. Good interview from Jake and he tries, but knowing Bad News is done in a few months makes this a tricky one to invest in.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-04-29-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Jake Roberts