Pro Wrestling Only

• 1 month later...

Sting, Luger, the Steiners and Animal are guests on Family Feud, against the women of GLOW. WCW wins I think 4 out of the 5 games. Scott Steiner REPRESENTS in the first lightning round, getting 191 of 200 points needed to win the final round! Rick suggests that one of the costs of owning a car is $9000, which sadly no one said. Still, they brought home the needed points on Day 1.

Day 2 was won by GLOW. I don't know the name of the first one. Godiva is second and does much better in her answers, but gets less points. These people they surveyed were silly.

Day 3 was won by WCW. Sting is up first in the lightning round for his team, and pulls 131 points for his team, but Rick Steiner can't bring it home, only getting 18 points.

Day 4 was also won by WCW. Sting is up first again, and again makes a healthy lead with 127 points. Animal is up second and is horrible, but his answers are hilarious in how bad they are. Why aren't they playing Lex? He had a 3.78 GPA in college, you know.

Day 5 was also won by WCW. Finally, Lex plays and I realize someone did his homework for him in college, but he does get to 102 points. Sting is out to follow Lex, but does worse than expected despite getting more chances than Luger, which I guess is a metaphor for 1990.

This was fun!

Three college men on the WCW team--pretty good lineup construction. Scott and Luger fair decently but Rick is an albatross and Animal is even worse. Sting gives some good answers but in the final round in particular got hosed by bad survey results (I thought teething ring was perfectly reasonable).

Actually this is about as good of a TV appearance as one could have hoped for--the WCW guys all had classic wrestler looks but came off as either somewhat intelligent or endearingly dumb instead of just big idiot screaming muscleheads. Animal's answers did have me wishing Richard Dawson could have still been there just to see his reactions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interpromotional war on Family Feud. WCW beats Glow. Scott totally cleans up on the first round and almost gets the 200 points himself. I'm waiting for Rick to blow it and first answer has me thinking it could but he gets second one easy. The women have a tougher as not the easiest questions. Sting has a strong finish to his questions. Scott doesn't do too well. Something that his hard to do when you have long hair? Go for a walk! Ray Combs really likes feeling up Animal. Fun stuff overall all as got kick out of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I think WCW had a few runs on the Feud, no? Fun stuff. I'd rank them Scott Steiner, Sting, Luger, Animal, Rick Steiner in terms of answers, but could easily be convinced to switch the last two. And the GLOW women do not appear to be very smart at all if they lost 4 out of 5 to this crew.

• 7 months later...

Putting the wrestlers aside, Ray Combs was a pretty entertaining host. Always quick with a funny understated quip "buying a baby is actually illegal in all 50 states".

Scott - aka played by Channing Tatum with a mullet - impresses me the most here. Rick truly has been dropped on his head quite a bit (another Ray line).

Love that this was included.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize you guys didn't have the space for it, but I would have loved to see the main games and try to figure out how anybody won. Seriously, it's tough to tell how much of the ineptitude was lack of intelligence and how much was nerves, because mental exercises like this aren't what these people are used to. On most episodes of Feud, there's a bad answer or two during Fast Money, but here they seem to come one right after the other, especially from Rick and Animal. Maybe they just weren't paying full attention.

I think Gene Wood would have made a splendid guest ring announcer for a WrestleMania if he'd had a big enough name outside of game shows. I'm guessing Johnny Olsen (from The Price is Right) might have made it if he'd lived a little longer; he died of a stroke in October 1985.

Ray Combs was good, but you could tell by the fifth show that he was getting a bit weary of all the stupidity. These shows taped all in one day, as is the custom for game shows, so you can imagine how he felt having to hear these wacky answers all day long.

Pete, they'd have never made it through a show if Richard was still hosting; he'd have fallen on the floor stone dead from laughter after Rick said that $9000 was one of the costs of owning a car! (Seriously, he was well-known for either breaking up at contestants' bad answers or insulting them, so he'd have had a field day with this crew, and not necessarily in a good way.)

I was explaining this segment to my dad, who's also a wrestling fan, and he suggested that everyone might have been answering the way they thought their wrestling characters would answer so as not to break kayfabe. This doesn't mean that the shows were rigged (which would be a federal crime), but it might explain Ray's irritation if he suspected what my dad did. I know he was a guest ring announcer at Mania VIII, so if he knew a little about the wrestling business, he might have realized (or at least thought) that the wrestlers weren't answering honestly.

Great stuff. Hope we see more in the future!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Oh cool I was hoping this would be on here! Really funny that Rick and Scott both chose "pork chops" and "snow mobile" as answers. Scott did great, really showcasing his Michigan education. I was really hoping Luger would totally bomb and really show what a mimbo he is and completely undermine JR's talking points. Also, there's a shot where it shows Rick Steiner staring off into space and he just looks like the most lost human being on the planet. It's very sad. This is the only thing my wife has watched with me so far, and she really enjoyed it. I'm interested in what "Night Musk" smells like...probably similar to Arrogance.

• 9 months later...

For UK readers this is the US version of ‘Family Fortunes’. It’s the NWA vs GLOW and the NWA is represented by Sting, Lex Luger, Road Warrior Animal and Rick and Scott Steiner, while GLOW’s contestants are Jackie Stallone, Godiva, Daisy, Mae the Farmer’s Daughter and Hollywood.

The NWA takes the first game and Scott Steiner scores 192. Despite some dodgy answers (‘name one of the costs of owning a car? $9,000’) and not answering all of the questions, Rick scrapes over the line and gets the eight points required to win the $5,000. GLOW take game two and Hollywood scores 71, even though she thought that the weight of a large baby is 30lbs! Godiva is up for the second half and she’s worse than Rick Steiner, scoring just twenty points and giving them a total of 91. Game three goes to the NWA and a solid score of 131 from Sting sees them start off promisingly. For some reason they decided to put Rick up again and, not surprisingly after his efforts in game one, he can’t get the 69 points required scoring a pitiful 18 points even though he managed to give four correct answers. Another win for the NWA in game four and another good performance from Sting scoring 120 points. Animal makes his debut trying to bring it home, but he’s battling Rick for thickest member of the team with gems like ‘name something that’s hard to do when your hair is too long? Go for a walk’ and ‘A word that rhymes with bush? Cush’. He actually gets close with his final three answers but still falls four points short. The NWA make it 4-1 for the week taking the last game. Lex Luger draws a blank on one question but scores a respectable 102 points. Sting (who has been one of their best players) has his worst performance and despite only needing 17 from his last two answers bags two zeroes.

Strange that Scott Steiner was never used again after scoring 192 points in the very first game. Sting and Luger were both good but Rick and Animal did themselves, and the image of wrestlers, no favours with some of their answers. Think what they women must have been like to get steamrollered by this bunch though!

• 1 month later...

Looked to me like Lex was overthinking things when he was up. He just couldn't snap out an answer and pressured himself into bad ones. Stinger seemed like the best at trying to make things up on the go. Scotty did pretty well for a big musclehead guy. Rick and Animal are complete lost causes.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-05] Family Feud (5/7-5/11)