[1990-05-19-WWF-Superstars] Rick Rude vignette

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Pete commented above that it's past time to go somewhere with this. I agree, but where could they have gone with just four pay-per views a year? They aren't doing this match on Superstars, SNME is still two months away, and Hogan's getting the big injury angle the following week, so you can't have Rude put Warrior on the shelf. The only thing they could have done is start these vignettes in June instead of right after Mania. Warrior was programmed with Hennig first, so maybe they could have done something with that, such as Curt using the IC title as his stepping stone to the big belt.

This makes for six (at least) winning vignettes in a row from Ravishing and the Brain, who had to know well in advance that they'd basically lead to nothing. That didn't stop them from working their asses off to do them right, and they deserve a hearty tip of the cap for that.

I'd do a mini-house-show program with Rude and Piper again and do everything up to and including throwing some extra money at Piper if he puts over Rude clean. Put it on Superstars for May sweeps too if you can, and sell it as Rude trying to avenge a loss from *his* past and daring Warrior to do the same.

I don't think Piper would have done that for any money; he just wanted to go home to Portland. Besides, Piper never beat Rude on pay-per-view.

The only time Rude ever took a clean pin on a pay-per-view from his WWF debut until after Mania VI was from Jake at the '88 Survivor Series. A revived angle between these two might work, but you'd be calling back memories of the sleazy, woman-kissing Rude, considering that the whole mess between the two of them started over Rude forcing himself on Cheryl. Besides, I think the whole point of the vignettes was him taking time off from the ring, at least on TV, to train. His first appearance on TV after Mania was on the 6/2 Superstars as a guest of Brother Love, when he formally dumped the Rude Awakening kisses from his gimmick. He didn't wrestle again until 6/16. By then, they were heavily into Jake/Bad News for SummerSlam, and Piper was officially retired (at least until he replaced Jesse on the 8/25 Superstars).

Clearly, Vince thought that the vignettes and the memory of Mania V would be enough to keep the feud hot, and they may have been if Warrior hadn't already gotten his win back at SummerSlam '89.

Logistics and the usual Piper issues aside, Rude desperately needed some other hook besides working out.

If they couldn't run another injury angle to another top babyface, then maybe a solution would be to go all cliched Southern wrasslin' and have Rude call Warrior a chicken, then run out when he's on on the Brother Love Show and tar and feather him. Or, since they were experimenting with Warrior's look, do a haircut angle. Hell, in this environment you could even draw heat by having Rude rub his face with paint thinner. But do *something.*

I like the paint thinner idea; it would have taken Warrior's face paint off, and he could have wrestled without it, saying that he wouldn't paint his face again until he beat Rude decisively, thus "earning" the right to once again wear paint.

Tarring and feathering was too southern for Vince, as you said, and haircuts were Beefcake's exclusive domain.

Maybe they should have just gone with Hennig or Savage; the world really didn't need another four months of Dusty/Sapphire vs. Randy/Sherri. I don't know what you do with Savage in that case leading to Mania VII, though, and Curt needed to focus on being IC champ, especially since champion vs. champion had just been done.

Tarring and feathering was too southern for Vince, as you said, and haircuts were Beefcake's exclusive domain.

My greatest fear if time travel is ever discovered is not Terminators being sent from the future, or altered histories caused by people stepping on prehistoric butterflies, or me marrying my own grandmother. It's someone going back to the spring of 1990 and planting a particular SummerSlam main event idea in Hogan's head...

I think they should have gone with Savage right out of the gate and built that match for Summerslam. Rude would have made for a cool SNME main event instead of someone like Haku, but I can't see them doing much more than that.

This. Why they stuck Randy with Dusty for basically the whole year (they had their last match in November) is a bit beyond me.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Rude is doing sprints on the beach and Bobby Heenan hopes that the Ultimate Warrior is watching because they’re hard at work. Rick Rude is running, running after him and he’s going to catch him! Heenan shows Rude the time and Rude says that he can beat it; he can also beat the Ultimate Warrior. He’s the one who took his title, the only man who’s ever beaten him and he’s going to pound his body endlessly until he crumbles to the mat. He’s coming to get him and he’s coming to take his title. Rude then tells ‘The Brain’ five more miles, before continuing his sprinting.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-05-19-WWF-Superstars] Rick Rude vignette