Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 1 month later...

If anyone is keeping up with the drinking game, Jim Ross will have you completely plastered before this match is over. I usually defend the football talk, but this is WAY overboard. Verbatim quotes about Ron Simmons from coaches at Florida State? Really?

Really fun power match. I don't think it's as well-constructed as the MX vs Pillman/Zenk match, but it's more heated, and they offset some of the gap with the big power moves and hitting each other really hard. Doom win the tag titles.

I will not have you two defaming the NAIA AND JUCO ALL-AMERICAN Butch Reed. I mean, hyping Pillman as a "wedgebuster" or Simmons, who at least was a legit elite college player, is one thing, but...I think I made this point elsewhere about Tracey Smothers. Telling that Ross spends five minutes blithering about football and collegiate wrestling before getting around to mention what degree the Steiners majored in.

There was a bit of meandering to this but Scott was a bit better than I thought in the Ricky Morton role, and some of the clotheslines were fantastic. Scott busts out one of the earliest t-bone suplexes on record. A double-team on Rick nets the tag titles for Doom and that boxing loss and headshaving are a million miles away from Theodore Long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Steiners with their letterman jackets. Ross talks about Simmons being a four time All American. I'll take a drink to play it safe. Rick's hair is stupid. It's totally the Angle wig from 2002. Teddy puts his doo rag on in front of the camera. Ross is overdoing the football references so I'll take another drink. Scott suplexes Simmons impressively. I'm going to have alcohol poisoning watching this. Soup bones! Swig. Hulu bowl. On no! Scary piledriver by Rick on Simmons. Ross talks about the greatest brother duos and I'm fearing a racist comment by him. Soup bone right. Ross mentions how everyone is all chiseled. Ron Simmons from Florida State. Ah crap. 8th in the Heismen trophy ballot. I'm starting to run low here. Former All American from Michigan. Reed with a good looking piledriver of his own. Football tackle. Simmons manages to spinebuster himself. And backdrops himself too! And frankensteiners himself for the trifecta. Vicious tackle to the outside. Dooms wins. Fun match. My liver hated it.

Ha, Loss. This match pretty much wrecked me as I watched it originally. Damn your drinking game rules.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Drinking games.

Both of Doom sure were powerhouses. Hacksaw had terrible dexterity with it. The 1st half was strong as the Steiners dominated proceedings. At this stage it looked like it was going much higher than it eventually ended up. It cooled off big time during the "hot" tag period and then the almost equally traditional microstretch. It did have a clean heel win, a rarity.

• 3 weeks later...

Sloppy match, but a fun one anyway, as everybody is hitting each other hard and laying their shit in. The Steiners come out with matching "we are losing the World tag team titles, and we are NOT happy about this" looks on their faces, but work hard in spite of that. Both members of Doom appear to be way too gassed up here, and I think that might be part of the reason for the sloppiness, but Butch Reed is still a hell of a worker.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This match certainly raised JR out of his lethargy, didn't it? Seriously, I have to think that this may have been his audition tape for the job he eventually got with the Falcons, because the football references are not only more numerous than usual, but more obscure. On the plus side, you could tell he was having flashbacks to his Watts days with all the talk about Butch Reed and his soupbones.

This was a great power match, and I like how Caudle put over that Doom didn't expect a match like this from a couple of amateur wrestlers. Whoever decided to take the masks off of Simmons and Reed deserved a raise, because they were never this good with them on. Peanuthead fits with them a thousand percent better than Nancy did too. Speaking of rapid improvement, Reed is back close to his Mid-South best here after sleepwalking through his WWF stint. Maybe it was the bleach in his hair.

I was also surprised that this job was relatively clean, but at least the Steiners weren't getting buried like Pillman and Zenk, and they'd be back on top again soon. For the moment, it'll be interesting to see who else besides Rick and Scotty is on the champions' radar now that Pillman and Zenk are through.

Congratulations to the team of DOOM!

• 1 year later...

I'm generally not a fan of power matches based solely on suplexes, I need some stiff striking too. I'm also not a fan of the Steiners. But, I think this is my favorite of the Steiner matches short of the Sting/Luger match. Doom won't be bullied around and delivers some hard clubbing blows, they're jacked to the moon, and they win the titles, no complaints.

• 2 months later...

This match was really fun. I wouldn't put it over the MX vs. Pillman/Z-Man match, but I still really enjoyed it. I heard that this is Burt Reynold's favorite match of all-time. Butch Reed's performance stood out to me in this match, and I really enjoyed the fun offense from Scott Steiner.

• 7 months later...

New rule. Jim Ross CANNOT talk about goddamn college football or any other sport while a wrestling match is going on. Ever again. Fun power match with almost a late 80s Jumbo vs. Tenryu feud at its height feel to it. Just big dudes hitting each other hard and tossing each other around some. Oh and about 300 too many college football references. Fucking JR. Did he go home and masturbate to some NCAA football after the show?

• GSR changed the title to [1990-05-19-NWA-Capital Combat] Rick & Scott Steiner vs Doom