Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-26-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I liked this promo more than some of the more recent Tony Atlas promos on the set because it sounded like he was building up an issue, rather than just talking about himself. Tony Atlas is wasting away here in ICW, which seems to have a TV show but no idea what to do with that TV show. Unfortunately, when Atlas finally does get out of ICW, it's not for a better situation for himself.

• 1 year later...

That depends on what you mean by "a better situation", Cox. While Saba Simba was a lousy gimmick, it paid more than what he was doing here and allowed him to get out of debt.

At any rate, "The Man" cuts a promo on a worthy named Chief Thunder Mountain here, and does so with style. Yes, the gags are stolen directly from Jerry Lawler's jokebook, but the fact that they're coming out of Atlas's mouth makes them at least somewhat less stale. I wish that he had more to work with too, but the other big star in ICW (Heyman) just left for WCW, and he was a heel anyway, so Tony had to make do with this kind of stuff.

I agree about Atlas being a better surprise for Flair than JYD. Here's another for you: Atlas instead of Tiny Lister as Zeus in No Holds Barred.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Atlas says that ‘Chief’ may be 400 and something odd pounds, and he does mean ‘odd’ pounds! He might be over 6’2” and might have been lucky enough to get himself in the ICW, one of the finest wrestling leagues anywhere in the world today, but there is one thing that he doesn’t have and that’s a brain. If a doctor wanted to give him a blood test he’d stay up all night studying for it! If they were to give him an IQ test they would realise his IQ is one point less than that of a banana! The reason he doesn’t have brains is because he stick his nose in his business the business of the champion, the business of the man and he’s the only man around here who takes care of business! He’s going to take care of Chief, he’s going to scalp him and when he gets through with him he’ll never stick his nose in his business again, and he’ll never mess with the man again!

Think ‘Chief’ is a wrestler but that’s all I have. Nice to see some focus with an Atlas promo here, for as good as they have been, I was tiring of hearing him just talking about himself and ‘the man’ all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-05-26-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas