Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Snowman / Interview: Lou Winston

Loss

• 1 month later...

Highlights of what looks to be another spectacular MSC match built around strikes and takedowns. Redneck UWFI! I would have loved to have seen this live. It's so disappointing that we'll probably never see this in full. The match ends in a DQ when Snowman accidentally catches referee Lou Winston in the mouth. Both guys take their shot at Winston in the post-match and continue having their fun brawl, which is made even more chaotic by the ref hating both guys.

Back at the studio, Lou Winston says he promised the week before he wouldn't put his hands on either wrestler if they wouldn't put their hands on him. He says when Lawler gets done, he's coming after Snowman.

I like Snowman calmly in the studio crowd each week. This is the feud of the year.

This looks even better than the previous week's match...again, it's incredible how a few well-done shoot-style takedowns and punches looks way, way more chaotic than a Moondog brawl. Same finish as before with Snowman accidentally punching the referee to receive the TECHNICAL LOSS, but referee Big Lou Winston fights back and the Snowman/Winston fight is almost as good as the match.

Winston with short but pointed comments promising to come after the Snowman after Lawler takes care of him first.

The most fascinating angle of the year continues. Absolutely incredible the difference between Memphis' race-card booking and WCW's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a fight. Just swinging wild blows at each other. I must have missed the finish as I though Lawler accidentally hit the ref and got disqualified. Which had me questioning the whole technical loss/title change. Great atmosphere though. Snowman gets in a fight with referee Lou Winston.

• 4 months later...

Im a sometimes theatre director (got paid a couple times). One of my flaws (some will say my thriftiness. An actor referred to me as "Roger Corman" one time and thats still the greatest compliment ever paid me) is a habit of obsessing over the little piddly details instead of the big picture.

So, of course, the one take away of this segment is Lou Winston's "Big LEW" hat and jacket. I could have sworn it was always "Lou" and not "Lew". But then, his middle name could be Edgar and LEW are his initials.

Snowman stinks as a wrestler but that one left jab was wicked.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Another real-looking street fight the likes of which we seldom see in American wrestling. It's hard to tell who the better worker is in these bouts, because so little work, at least in the way we recognize it, is being done.

They obviously want to keep Snowman around since he and Lawler are drawing so well, so they're branching him out into other guys. It's interesting that his next issue is with a fellow African-American; I know we don't see this on the set, but I wonder how Snowman is going to handle a "brother" who has a problem with him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lou Winston basically enhancement talent/lower midcard? Was putting him in the middle of this hot angle Jarrett's way of giving him a small push?

• 1 year later...

Looks like another hot match, although what we get is a step down from the previous match for me. But something that really stands out is each man's fighting stance. There's such an intense energy just in the way they're standing, and I've never realized how much that effects the match.

• 7 months later...

This is a rematch from last week’s must see match at the Mid-South Coliseum. Lou Winston is the special referee and unfortunately this one is only shown in clip form. It’s a similar in vane match with lots of swinging punches and takedowns, although you can clearly see that they are working as opposed to last week, which had a more realistic vibe. Winston twice has to pull Snowman off Lawler and the finish is another DQ as Snowman ends up hitting him (although I couldn’t tell whether this was accidental or on purpose). Lawler and Snowman go at it again after the match and Snowman again hits Winston, although this time it was definitely on purpose. That results in him getting involved in the fight and Snowman and Winston end up brawling at ringside, with Eddie Marlin and a couple of officials coming out to tray and separate them.

Back in the studio and Lou Winston joins Dave Brown. Lou says how he said he would referee the match and he wouldn’t put his hands on either Jerry Lawler or The Snowman, but he didn’t want them putting their hands on him either. He tells The Snowman that if there is anything left after Jerry Lawler gets through with him then he’ll be looking for him.

I’m not a fan of clipped matches, unless it is obvious that what airs in clipped form would be better than the full thing (like that Lawler vs Valiant bout from the Coliseum), and after last week I’m not sure that would be the case with this one. Whilst this was still good and again completely different from anything else going on at the time, I think last week was the better ‘fight’ of the two so far.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Snowman / Interview: Lou Winston