Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-09-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Jim Herd announcement / Four Horsemen reaction

Loss

• 1 month later...

Jim Herd announces that the Horsemen have been fined, Woman has been suspended indefinitely and that a full investigation is taking place to determine Ole's role in raising the cage at Capital Combat. He says if Ole raised the cage, then Ole will be suspended indefinitely as well.

The Horsemen are not happy about this at all. Ole threatens to get lawyers involved.

Woman is out as Horsemen manager, but Herd states that there is no definitive evidence that Ole Anderson hijacked the cage (???). If evidence does come out, Ole will be suspended as well.

The Horsemen don't take to this well. Windham makes a veiled reference to his previous stint under Herd and blames Herd's hiring incompetence for the raising cage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Herd's not even as telegenic as Jack Tunney, and that's saying something.

Ole as a commentator? Why do I get the feeling that Herd was actually going to out Ole as the booker, then was told by someone what a breach of etiquette that was, which forced a hasty retake? I literally can't think of any other reason for such an off-the-wall comment. Ole plays along in his rebuttal, though, and the Horsemen save the segment as only they can. I liked Windham referring to Herd as an eggplant, which is one of the nicest things anyone from that era ever said about him, onscreen or off.

So this is how Woman goes out, huh? As I said earlier, dumping her for Missy Hyatt (if that's what basically happened) was just one of WCW's many horrible mistakes this year.

I notice that the corporate suits are already starting to phase in the WCW brand name.

• 11 months later...

Herd's not even as telegenic as Jack Tunney, and that's saying something.

Ole as a commentator? Why do I get the feeling that Herd was actually going to out Ole as the booker, then was told by someone what a breach of etiquette that was, which forced a hasty retake? I literally can't think of any other reason for such an off-the-wall comment. Ole plays along in his rebuttal, though, and the Horsemen save the segment as only they can. I liked Windham referring to Herd as an eggplant, which is one of the nicest things anyone from that era ever said about him, onscreen or off.

So this is how Woman goes out, huh? As I said earlier, dumping her for Missy Hyatt (if that's what basically happened) was just one of WCW's many horrible mistakes this year.

I notice that the corporate suits are already starting to phase in the WCW brand name.

Ole had done commentary (perhaps on Worldwide?) not long before this, but only for an episode or two, I think.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Herd says that since Capital Combat there has been a steady stream of cards, letters and phone calls asking for an explanation as to why the Four Horsemen, Ole Anderson and Woman can seemingly dictate what happens at various venues across the country. They’ve had a meeting and have fined the Horsemen, suspended Woman indefinitely and there is an ongoing investigation into what part Ole Anderson played in the fiasco at the end of Capital Combat. Jim Ross has said that Ole had commandeered the winches that controls the raising and lowering of the cage, but at the moment they haven’t found any proof that was the case. Herd says that if they find that Ole did play a part in that, he will be suspended indefinitely from any wrestling or announcing duties that he may have with World Championship Wrestling.

The Horsemen respond and Ole is adamant that he had nothing to do with that cage. He says that he knows a few lawyers himself and before he kicks him out of any job, Jim Herd better listen to what his lawyers have to say. Arn says that it is the same old story, Lex Luger crying foul because he couldn’t beat the champion. They tried stacking the deck with a machine and an eight foot giant, because as always, it’s The Horsemen vs The World. He tells Luger, Sting, the Junkyard Dog and Paul Orndorff not to go singing the blues to the front office, if you want to be a man, stand up, be a man, and get it done on your own. Windham claims it was one of those idiots that Herd hired to work at his PPV events who raised the cage, and they just took advantage of the situation. If Jim Herd wants to check into their backgrounds he better look into his own, as he might end up being the one taking the hike!

I liked the idea of having Herd in front of the camera to stress how important this announcement was, but he comes off like a poor man’s Jack Tunney. I knew she was gone simply by the fact that she wasn’t with them on recent interviews, but after all the build, her ‘manhunt’, this was a pretty weak way to write Woman out. Not sure what was up with Windham here, but he looks like he was on something.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-09-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Jim Herd announcement / Four Horsemen reaction