Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 1 month later...

Another good match between these teams, though not top tier for their rivalry. This one featured a more frenetic pace than usual, without the long, well-defined face-in-peril section you expect from Morton. It was pretty much the only praiseworthy thing from an underwhelming Clash.

I addressed the match in the previous posts. Not at the level of the other matches between these teams, but an interesting one for what they tried to do. Jim Ross is a riot here, saying hello to specific fans all over the country and even taking a shot at WON readers by saying a lot of fans didn't really want to see the Rock & Roll Express return, but they've come back and proven everyone wrong with this run.

Green screen promos and wrestler logos--the SNME-ization of the Clashes continues.

I think Cornette and both teams are selling this match short if that's how they felt. There were a few moments where the execution was noticeably off, but nothing too bad. The Morton-in-peril segment was a little short (but boy, what a fucking awesome transition to get there, with the huracanrana attempt countered by Eaton off the top) and the finish kinda blew. Otherwise I don't think this was at ALL far behind the WrestleWar match--the new shit was pretty awesome shit and Eaton was an absolute monster here, between his offense and getting thrown from the apron to the guardrail again. A more-than-worthy additional chapter between these two teams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The match didn't click for me. At times the timing was off. It wasn't a bad match, but they have so many better between the teams. With the ref spots in the earlier matches between the 2 teams I was expecting another one. Especially with the way Eaton, and Patrick were jawing with each other. I thought they were setting up a spot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I was going to comment on how this felt different from previous RnR/MX matches but then Loss explained why. Good on them for not sticking with the formula and trying something new. For the first time with a new layout, this isn't bad at all, and given the workers and minds involved, I'm sure with a few matches to work out the kinks, they could have made this match work too, especially with a better finish. Seriously, can the MX beat ANYBODY at this point?

• 1 year later...

For a different match, this one was pretty similar to the others, at least to me. Of course, how many spots can these two teams really do that they haven't done variations of before? We even saw two more ref spots: Nick Patrick's near fistfight with Eaton and him crawling out of the way on all fours so Rock 'n Roll could hit the double dropkick on Eaton (I think). I noticed that there was less stalling from the MX than usual, so maybe that was one of the wrinkles Corny was talking about.

I agree that the finish was a bit ticky-tacky, considering what the heels get away with most of the time, but maybe they were running short on time already.

I liked JR bringing up the prior history of this feud in Mid-South, as well as his refereeing career. I'm a huge football fan, both college and pro, and I understand that JR's trying to get these guys over as legit all-around athletes, but we could stand a little more wrestling history and a few less football references. One complaint: I can understand not wanting to publicize Dennis Condrey, especially considering how he left both times, but they really shouldn't make it sound like Lane and Eaton have been together since 1984. Stan seems to have inherited Dennis's history in its entirety, and it's that kind of dishonesty that Vince rightly gets mocked for and WCW's supposed to be above.

Finally, I enjoyed the Vanna White name-dropping, as well as JR's comment that he hopes she's changed since the days when she supposedly hung out with Sweet Stan. That's the kind of humor wrestling broadcasts need more of.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

This was a lot of fun. In fact, I think it's a good tag match. But that makes it disappointing given who is involved. Kudos to everyone involved for trying something new though. Bold step in an organization that seems to want to move backwards.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-13-NWA-Clash of the Champions IX] Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express