Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-15-EMLL] El Dandy & El Satanico vs Atlantis & Angel Azteca

Loss

• 1 month later...

Sadly, the Dandy/Atlantis title match that aired the week before on TV was clipped down so much that it wasn't really yearbook-worthy. It's unfortunate, because the Lucha Title Match is easily my favorite type of wrestling match, and getting two of them with great workers over a one-week period would have been a real treat. Still, knowing that helps with context here. This is a pretty cocky El Dandy taking on two guys who he's recently had some tough title matches against, teaming with the guy who will be his biggest rival by year's end.

This is a great match. Every time Dandy takes a bump, he oversells it like crazy since the crowd seems to love him getting his comeuppance so much. He is amazing in this match, working beautiful sequences that no one else in wrestling could probably pull off at this point, then mixing in just enough rudo mannerisms to make sure it doesn't babyface him. Simply walking away from a long exchange with Azteca gets big heel heat.

The match isn't really about Satanico, but he is tremendous every time he is in. He's so good as a character that it's easy to forget how good he is as a wrestler sometimes. Just wonderful stuff with four total pros.

This felt like a really good match filled with great wrestling, if that makes any sense. They didn't seem to be striving for an epic battle. In fact, the last two falls passed briskly without much sense of struggle over the finishes. But there was so much talent in the ring that everything looked fantastic. And Dandy and Satanico were such compelling, expressive performers. They didn't have to shoot for the stars to come close to reaching them.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I want to see the Dandy/Atlantis match because the heat when they are together was off the charts. I really enjoyed the arm work in this match and especially enjoyed the finish of the third fall. Childs description is accurate in that they didn't seem to be aiming for a classic with the structure of the match but the talent was so good at this point that it ended up close to being one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Atlantis is holding his face outside the ring during the introductions. Wonder what happened there. I really dig Satanico’s armbar/bullodg combo move. He’s cranking on the arm but has enough time to give the thumbs up to the camera. Feels like Satanico is doing most of the work on his time but Dandy gets going as match goes on. Doing all kinds of selling of his back. Atlantis trips at one point but gets to his feet quickly and is able to complete move sequence. Satanico puts away Azteca but gets rolled up quickly by Lizmark. Dandy charges into and gets submitted right away by Atlantis. That’s a way to dominate.

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing Dandy as an out and out heel. He's best suited to being a rudo. Satanico can also be relied on to make me mark out with his mannerisms. Good stuff here with nicely flowing action. Azteca also performed well. I loved how they made the tags mean something, but didn't have to get bogged down in FIP segments to accomplish this. How I wish more wrestlers knew how to work the tag format this well. There were frequent shifts in momentum as it progressed. Atlantis took it downhill with a couple of errors only to bring it back with a sharp finish and redeem himself.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This is the 4th Dandy match I've ever seen (the other 3 being the apuestas/title matches against Pirata Morgan and Emilio Charles Jr) and finally I'm starting to "get" what's so great about him. Dude is crisp as fuck and the way he generated heat here was awesome, I really want to see an Atlantis/Dandy match now.

I was kinda annoyed how the announcer kept talking about Gran Davis shaving his mustache. Shit was like Michael Cole talking about stuff that have nothing to do with the match and detracting from the action in the ring. I've only seen like 10 Lucha matches since the project started but my god, Lucha commentary sucks ass

I thought this was before the Azteca match and wanted to watch it as a set up but oh well.

• 3 months later...

Lucha's hit-and-miss with me, and this was a miss. You guys saw great work, I saw constant backflips, leapfrogs, and reversals that led to nothing I could understand. Satanico's arm work was nice, and I liked the work on Dandy's back. Other than that, nothing.

This project's teaching me once and for all that, for better or worse, I'm almost strictly a U.S. Southern style fan with a bit of WWF mixed in. Japan's okay, although I prefer the brawls to the technical classics or shoot-style stuff. Lucha means almost nothing, no matter how good the work. I'm digging Joshi a bit, but compared to the slop that the American promotions call women's wrestling, anything's liable to stand out.

I guess this makes me some kind of wrestling philistine.

• 1 year later...

I really liked the Dandy and Atlantis interactions, and I'm starting to get a feel for the flow of the matches in relation to the different falls. This felt like a good step forward. I also know El Dandy vs Satanico is a big feud this year, so I'm hoping we get to see what leads to the matches.

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-15-EMLL] El Dandy & El Satanico vs Atlantis & Angel Azteca