Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Fabulous Freebirds

Loss

• 1 month later...

"These guys can notes higher than Ella Fitzgerald sitting on a tack!" The Freebirds blather about their tour of Europe and make threats towards the Southern Boys--then switch gears and call out both Doom and the Midnight Express. Cornette freaks out and tries to make nice until they leave, then gets all pouty about how he tried to be nice to them, but the Midnights can beat them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I dont get the internet hate for the 'Birds. Scott Keith has always had a venomous hatred for them and I just never understood it.

I ordered a Badstreet USA t-shirt around this time. WCW, being WCW, sends me a shirt a size too small. Ended up as a tight undershirt under a sweatshirt on particuarly chilly winter days.

I think most of the hate from the Freebirds results from the fact that most people posting on message board's today are not that familar with their Texas stuff and just have a working knowledge of their feud with the Von Erichs. Even though they still had some good matches, The Freebirds from 1989 was one of the lamest and most dated wrestling acts I can remember.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just for my own edification, I looked up the Freebirds in 1990 on Wrestlingdata.com. They had no matches with either the MX or Doom that were recorded during the summer; they mostly were working with either Rock 'n' Roll or the Southern Boys.

Anyway, this is a fun promo, even if it doesn't end up going anywhere. Jimmy sort of changed the subject on a dime when it came time to talk about the Midnights and Doom, but it was still effective, especially Corny's pissy reaction.

I noticed that this segment wasn't done in the ring. Was this a one-time thing? I hope so, because segments like this are always done best in front of a live crowd.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

The Slugger is no longer being taped in front of a live crowd, just in a studio. Jim Cornette’s guests are not only a great tag team, not only are they top stars in the world of professional wrestling, but in addition they are the world’s greatest Rock and Roll band, the Fabulous Freebirds. Cornette says that Freebird Fantasia is running wild, their tour dates are selling out all over Europe, they’re winning a lot of matches and causing a lot of commotion. Garvin says that it’s not easy being the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world today, and it’s not easy being the greatest tag team either! Europe is on fire, they’re on their way to the United States, they’ve been in the edit studios for four days straight and they’re about to get a tremendous raise from the record company. He’s having a ball! Hayes says that they hop on a concord late at night, come in from Paris, get in the ring and beat whomever it may be, whether that’s the Rock & Roll Express, the Southern Boys (who’ve really been getting on their nerves as they’re a cheap imitation and they might have to learn the hard way like the Rock & Rolls did) or Doom. Cornette can understand them not liking the Southern Boys as they listen to that Country & Western music (and there is nothing more disgusting than that!), but they want to get in there with Doom for the World tag team titles? Garvin says that they do want to get in there with Doom but it is the U.S. tag team titles they’re interested in first, and Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane are on their list. Cornette is not happy with that news and thinks that they shouldn’t bother messing with their titles and should go straight to the top. Hayes tells him to get the message to Stan and Bobby and Cornette is all nice as pie with them, until they are gone and out of ear shot! He then lets them both have it and says that the Midnight Express can beat them any day of the week and you just can’t please some people!

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Fabulous Freebirds