Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Snowman

Loss

• 1 month later...

Another match worked in the same style of the previous ones. Again, just highlights, but what a series. As promised in the hype, Lawler did throw fire after some help from Downtown Bruno. Referee Kerry Von Erich seems to be having a mild seizure over what to do in some really odd acting. Lawler is still hanging on as a heel.

Lawler has Downtown Bruno, Ronnie P. Gossett, *and* Reggie B. Fine in his corner. That's enough to distract Kerry long enough for Lawler to torch Snowman with a fireball and get the eventual 3-count. More redneck UWFI and they actually manage to work a freaking fireball spot into this seamlessly! Lawler's really tight cradle still gives off the shoot vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Im only half way through and this 1990 set is the best purchase I've made in a LONG time.

1990 is so murky in my memory banks that these dvds are reminding me of things or just showing me I'd remembered them wrong.

For instance, I didnt remember Snowman being the babyface in this fued. I thought that Lawler was the tweener (for lack of a better word) and Snowman was the heel. I had them completely mixed up.

• 6 months later...

See, I saw this as being more of a regular pro wrestling match than their previous matches. Yeah, it's mostly punches, but I also don't get the feeling that they are trying a worked shoot here, but more a worked wrestling match based around punching. Lawler having three managers and throwing fire is a blatant attempt to make him more heelish than they had done before. Wonder if the second gate with Lou Winston was down some, so they changed things to make Snowman more of a babyface and Lawler more of a heel to create more of an issue fans at home would understand.

• 1 year later...

As Cox said, this match seemed more traditional than the others; most of the shoot aspect of the feud was gone now that Snowman had made up with Eddie Marlin.

All three Memphis heel managers at ringside for Lawler? We didn't see any explanations for this in the buildup, and it seems like major overkill. I know Bruno had been scouting Lawler, and Gossett's appeared with him before, but what possible explanation was there for Reggie B. Fine?

I didn't really catch Kerry's performance until well after the fire had been thrown by Lawler, but not wanting to count a pinfall for your biggest rival after you're pretty sure he'd just thrown fire (whether you'd actually seen it or not) seems perfectly natural to me. As for his movements, the man had a prosthetic foot and was most likely higher than a kite. You expected Baryshnikov?

I'll be interested to see how they can possibly get three more weeks of matches out of this. Fairly or not, Lawler has dominated the series, and this is usually about the point where he moves on, even when he's lost the title during a feud.

• 1 year later...

This is my least favorite of the matches so far. I remember Kerry being the ref, but I don't remember hearing why Ronnie Gosset was supposed to be out there. Anyway, this felt the least out of control of the matches so far, and I while the fireball looked scary, Kerry kind of killed the momentum with the weird delayed pin.

• 8 months later...

Just as last week’s match this one is shown in clip form and Kerry Von Erich is the special referee. Lawler has three managers for this: Porky Gossett, Downtown Bruno and someone else who isn’t named. I understand why Gossett would be there as he’s managed him at the Mid-South Coliseum before, but don’t know why he’s got the other two with him. Another match based around strikes, takedowns and kicks, but it’s even clearer than last week that these two are working. Lawler takes a roll out of the ring to catch his breath and Downtown Bruno hands him something. Bruno gets up on the ring apron to distract Kerry and when The Snowman goes over to drag Lawler back in the ring, ‘The King’ throws fire at him. Lawler makes the cover and Kerry then tries to portray that he’s torn over making the count for his fierce rival, but it instead looks like he’s having some sort of fit in there! He finally counts the fall and Lawler retains the Unified title.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Snowman