Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-04-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett & Billy Joe Travis vs Sweet Daddy Falcone & Chico Torres

Loss

• 1 month later...

Terrific brawl. Jarrett was all fired up after Falcone and Torres threw hot sauce in his eyes during a previous episode. And boy did he show his Memphis heart here, building an excellent match almost entirely on emotion and punches. Not a lot else to say, except this kind of match never gets old.

Jarrett and Travis are determined to make Devastation Inc. pay for throwing hot sauce in Jarrett's eyes, and beat the hell out of them for 15 minutes in a really terrific match. There are a lot of times when they go after each other's eyes as a call back. The first time I watched this, I liked it, but thought it was a little too one-sided to be a great match. But when I watched it here following the angle, it totally worked. One of the two or three best Texas matches of the year at worst. It's even more impressive considering that Falcone and Torres are barely decent in the ring so this was a total Jarrett/Travis performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Best "traditional" USWA-TX match (i.e., one that does not partially take place on a pick-up truck) of the year. Travis has maybe the greatest punch ever in wrestling, which covers a hell of a lot of ground--but he's at least in the conversation. He puts it to use here liberally, while both teams make a big deal about going after each other's eyes. I complained about the initial hot-sauce angle somewhat but they're really milking it to the hilt here and I approve. It's a total babyface carryjob but Falcone is at least competent at selling and Torres is able to give off a chicken-shit vibe that pays off at the finish. Jarrett figure-fours Torres after the match and tells him to deliver that message to Akbar. Really great, intense performance from both babyfaces carrying two anonymous loads to a fantastic match.

• 2 weeks later...

Great match and I loved all the strategy with going after the eyes. Travis is really good as a babyface which is amazing considering how scuzzy he was as a heel earlier in the year. This mixed in southern style brawling with traditional tag formula really well. Falcone and Torres did everything well but Travis and Jarrett were the real stars.

I thought this was a solid fight. I'm not as high on this as the rest of you are. I thought Jarrett and Travis should take most of the match since they are way higher on the totem pole. I thought Falcone is a serviceable big man. By big I mean for the territory. Torres is useless. Is he Akbar's legit kid or something because he brings nothing to the table and has zero charisma. I also thought it lasted a tad long, and I think I would have liked it as a more compact brawl.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Jarrett and Travis were both fine but I do miss Billy Joe as a heel. My problem with this was on the heel side. Agreed with Shoe on Torres. Guy just did nothing. Wish we had a stronger heel team. We do get some back story that it was Chico Torres' grandmother who made the hot sauce that was put in Jarrett's eyes. There is a lot of going after opponent's eyes which shows some good venom. Jarrett struggles to put the figure four on Torres after the match.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

First of all, where was Akbar? Was he legitimately sick, or was there a death in his family? You wouldn't think he would miss his stable's biggest match on this show, such as it was, for any other reasons.

This match is what the mixed tag should have been: an extended squash for the faces where the heels get almost nothing. Of course, Austin is a much better worker than either Falcone or Torres. So is Jeannie, for that matter. I would have liked to have seen Torres get more of his comeuppance during the match instead of after, and him submitting to the figure four would have been a perfect ending. As it was, I think I heard Jarrett reference in a later promo that Torres had left the territory, so the job got done one way or the other.

I agree with Pete about Travis's punches being among the best I've seen, particularly the one where he winds up practically from the mat. Of course, both he and Jeff were influenced by Lawler, who knows a thing or two about throwing good punches.

Falcone took most of the beating in this match and did so very well. My earlier comments aside, It's tough to tell how good he really is from a match like this, where he's basically used as a punching bag. Same thing with Torres; this match was all about him being a chicken, and chickens don't often make solid workers.

I saw the mixed tag match before this one, so I can't really say that Craig regressed, but he was back to his less-than-mediocre standard here after a very good performance during the mixed tag. When he's by himself, he overdoes his transitions and tries to make everything into soundbites so there's no dead air, and it gets old quickly. He needs a color man in order to be effective, and with Percy gone because of his angle with Kerry, they had no one to fill the role on this card:. Two words, Jerry: BILL MERCER!

I think this is good enough to move into third on my USWA "ballot" for the year with August and a smudge of September to go, behind Kerry/Borne in the parking lot and the Adams/Austin barbed wire match.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-04-USWA Texas] Jeff Jarrett & Billy Joe Travis vs Sweet Daddy Falcone & Chico Torres