Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

Just the finish. The Dirty White Boys run-in and attack Dundee. Tessa pleads with Gilbert to help and he ends up grabbing her by the hair and throwing her on the floor. Lawler has seen enough and decks Gilbert and makes the save.

Lawler agrees to team with Gilbert for a lot less than the $5,000 Gilbert was going to get paid.

Great segment that cemented Lawler's babyface turn, introduced Gilbert and mixed some people together in interesting ways. I approve.

• 2 weeks later...

Gilbert again daydreams as Bill Dundee gets attacked by the Dirty White Boys. As Tessa pleads with him to help, Gilbert throws her to the floor, which brings out Lawler who decks Gilbert and then makes the save. Dundee withdraws his offer to Gilbert and Lawler agrees to take his place.

Another hot segment and I get that this was just a way to get Gilbert back into the territory, but dammit, I wanted to see that tag match. I think, as inevitable as it was, that the Gilbert turn could have waited for a week or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching 1994 before this yearbook and seeing how trustworthy some people in USWA were when they had no reason to be especially in regards to Eddie Gilbert. It was refreshing to see this blow up over a course of the show as all the cards were laid out and we had some new interesting developments and introduced Gilbert back into the fold. I love seeing Lawler and Dundee together as babyfaces.

• 4 weeks later...

Dirty White Boys attack Dundee during the match. The camera misses it but Gilbert grabs Tessa by the hair on the outside. Lawler saves Tessa by nailing Gilbert. Both him and Dundee, to a big crowd response, clear the ring of everyone.

Dundee asks Lawler to be his partner and will pay him the money originally meant for Gilbert. Jerry will do it for free. Great segments. I liked that way Gilbert was immediately proven to be a heel and Lawler finally completed this turn to a face.

• 2 years later...

And so the Lawler/Dundee seesaw completes yet another cycle. Considering the previous history between Lawler and Gilbert and Gilbert's past in Memphis, I was totally fine with this happening quickly. Not only do we get to see Lawler and Dundee back together, but I'm sure we'll eventually see Lawler/Gilbert, which is always a classic feud.

I loved how psyched Dave was over Lawler's return to the right side of the fence and his reunion with Dundee. I guess he was as tired of heel Lawler's lame jokes and racial putdowns as we were. In all seriousness, that has to be a tough type of character for even an experienced host like Dave to work with on a regular basis. He looked and sounded like a fifty-pound weight had just been lifted from his shoulders, and it most likely wasn't all kayfabe. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Lawler's doing color anymore, at least not regularly.

I think that not showing Gilbert throwing Tessa down had to be intentional. Why court trouble in your home market the way you just had in Dallas when it wasn't necessary?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The Dirty White Boys jump Dundee leading to a technical loss for Wayne. They put the boots to him whilst Tessa pleads with Eddie Gilbert to get in there and help him. Gilbert grabs Tessa by the hair and is dragging her around on the floor, when out comes Jerry Lawler pulling him off her and decking him with a right. He goes to help Dundee and the two of them clear the ring while Tessa chases the Dirty White Girl around the ring.

They head over to the announcing desk and Dundee says that about half an hour ago Lawler said for $5,000 he could buy ‘The King’ himself. Eddie Gilbert hasn’t been paid yet, he’s not going to be paid, and now he’s asking him. Lawler says that he never said for $5,000, he can get his services for a lot less than that! He can’t stand Eddie Gilbert, who right then he showed his true colours, has never liked the Dirty White boy and had had his fair share of run ins with John Tatum. Dundee can forget the $5,000 as it would be his pleasure to help him out.

Great segment and the crowd were hot when Lawler came to Tessa’s rescue and then when he and Dundee took care of the Dirty White Boys. Eddie Gilbert continued to be a weasel, and although I felt he was outshone by John Tatum in Dallas, I’ve really enjoyed Bill Dundee’s work in this episode.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-07-USWA-Memphis TV] Bill Dundee vs Ken Wayne