Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After seeing this interview, I have no idea how Vince messed up the LOD/Demolition feud so badly.

The formula's very simple: Bring in Hawk and Animal (preferably with Precious Paul) and have them cost the Demos the belts at SummerSlam as they did in real life. Instead of the six-mans with the Warrior which did nothing for anyone, start the feud with some wild, inconclusive brawls at house shows. Slowly establish Ax as the manager outside the ring to counteract Paul. In the middle of all this, put the belts back on the Demos for the last time, most likely in late fall. Ramp up the feud to a higher, more violent level as you go, and have the LOD score some six-man victories. Paul would be their partner, and either Eadie could join Smash and Crush or they could find another heel to team with somewhere else. Then, have the Demos make one last challenge at Mania VII: if they win, the LOD doesn't get any more title shots. If the LOD wins, the Demos break up for good. The LOD wins and moves on to the Nasty Boys. Simple.

Instead, we got the return of Fuji, the "who's really who?" bullshit, and the eventual and complete burial of one of the most dominant tag teams of the last three or four years, regardless of promotion. Bret got screwed out of a singles push for the second time, the LOD never looked the same without Paul and became kiddified, and I don't remember the Nasties being pushed as much special in spite of the fact that they held the belts, because everyone knew that they were keeping them warm for the LOD. I'll see for myself when the calendar turns to '91; the point is, Vince had greatness in his hands, and as he so often does, he crumpled it into a ball and threw it away for no good reason.

By the way, I can't decide which was funnier: Ax referring to Mean Gene as Howard (could that have been a rib on Cosell?) or Crush calling him an amoeba (if you look at Okerlund in the right light, there could be a slight resemblance...........)

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Gene introduces the WWF tag team champions, Ax, Smash and Crush, and he doesn’t know what to make of things. Ax tells him that he doesn’t have to make anything of it. He addresses the Hart Foundation and says that there is a new Demolition in town, more powerful, more devastating and more demolishing than ever. Their power structure has expanded, now there is three and they’re getting stronger and stronger every day. Crush says that it’s no-one’s business what he’s doing here, but he came to the new Demolition on one condition and that is that he doesn’t have to like anyone, he can hurt anyone and he already hates the Hart Foundation’s stinking guts! Smash likes Crush’s attitude because he is like they are and he doesn’t care about anyone. The only thing he cares about is them, and they’re here to knock someone’s head off. After they knock it off Ax axes them, he smashes them, and Crush crushes them, and there is nothing the Hart Foundation can do about it!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-08-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Demolition