Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-14-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hogan does his big announcement promo. This is possibly the best babyface interview he ever did, talking about his recovery, thoughts of retirement and his ultimate decision to come back. This is fantastic, and it's such a welcome contrast to the ramblings of the Ultimate Warrior. It has some self aggrandizement but it's Hogan, and that's part of the deal. Anyone who thinks Hogan was just a product of the WWF machine (if anyone even thinks that anymore) should watch this. The guy had talent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hulk wants to first thank all the Hulkamaniacs for all the support. God dug deep and created Hulkamania. Hulk brings up how much Tugboat helped him. Hulk was healthy enough to ride his Harley. Hulk will not retire! He’s been reborn. Hogan has signed to wrestle Earthquake at Summerslam. Hogan looked down at first but he was pumped by the end. Good promo and has me into the Earthquake match.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think I've ever seen Hogan like this before in a promo. Shoe has it right; he started as Terry Bollea and morphed into the Hulkster before our eyes. By the end it was the same old stuff, but that same old stuff felt right, organic in a way it never had before and wouldn't again. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Vince let Hogan cut a promo that was so real, because this makes Quake's obviously (badly) scripted claptrap about tremors and Richter scales and his bouncing up and down during interviews like he's an actual earthquake come to life look even more juvenile than it is. The SummerSlam match has now become a real man fighting a cartoon character, and the outcome can't possibly be in doubt. Just tremendous, and you wonder how Hogan ever allowed himself to lose his magic touch, which he undoubtedly did during his WCW days.

What did Fred Ottman do to go from Hogan's next big buddy to almost nothing in no time flat? Bossman worked as well as Tugboat would have in Hogan's corner, but it's rare that you see a big change like that in a pay-per-view main event, even with a cornerman, after so much hype. Also, does anyone think that Beefcake would have taken that slot once the decision was made to remove Tugboat if he hadn't been hurt?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-14-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan