Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-20-USWA Texas] Steve Austin & Jeannie Clark vs Chris & Toni Adams

Loss

• 2 months later...

Tony Falk really hates these catfights. Anyway, this is the best match from this feud so far. This is worked very similarly to the previous match, but I like it better because there are more crowd-pleasing spots and Toni gets more prolonged revenge, which has been coming for a while. Austin is already taking crazy bumps. Toni ends up slugging Percy Pringle when he won't get out of her way. Chris Von Erich comes out to make the save, adding another dimension to this feud. Jeff Jarrett runs out when Chris starts getting attacked, which brings Iceman out, and it's total chaos. Jarrett and Parsons do not end up involved in this feud, but everyone else here does. This is great stuff. But if you're keeping score, Chris Adams is now carrying a very capable but inexperienced rookie, two non-working women, a manager and Chris Von Erich to one of the best feuds of the year. Pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

And THIS is the USWA-Texas segment of the year so far. A much hotter start and the work in the chinlock/sleeper is much better. Austin takes some loony bumps to the floor and there are some great moves done by both guys, plus Toni finally gets some shots in on a helpless Jeannie which is long overdue. It's great that there's some actual psychology surrounding the catfights with Toni's perpetually injured ribs. One catfight spills onto the announcer's desk and Percy Pringle accidentally gets decked, leading to him grabbing Toni and imploring Jeannie to hit her. Chris Von Erich makes the save on Percy, Austin ties Adams in the ropes and goes after Chris, Jeff Jarrett makes the save for Chris, and Iceman Parsons comes out to attack Jarrett. Absolutely awesome stuff all around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fans do enjoy the women going at it. Adams keeps launching Austin over the top rope to the outside. Similar to the previous mix tag team match with brawling early and then going to chinlock spot. At least it is shorter. The women go for a chase around the ring and both of them wipe out on the slippery floor. Austin tags in Jeannie and she does some ground and pound. Adams gets very physical with his ex wife and ties her up in the ropes. Toni gets in a couple free shots but takes too long and Jeannie breaks free. They are giving them women more time together but they still tag out quickly. Pringle gets hit by accident and then grabs Toni from behind. Chris Von Erich saves Toni temporarily but Austin puts an end to that quickly. Jarrett attacks Austin but then Icemen attacks Jeff. Brawling all over the place. Great ending.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I might be almost alone, but this really didn't impress me a bunch. Yes, the men showed more energy, particularly Austin, but we still had Toni and Chris basically taken for chumps at the end, with Chris being tied in the ropes for most of the big finishing sequence. He's making Austin look like a world beater, but almost totally killing his own credibility in the process. At some point, he needs to dominate Austin for an entire match and leave him laying in order to restore the proper balance of things. Honestly, it may be too late for that even now.

The same thing goes for Toni and Jeannie. Toni needs to get in more than a couple of free shots; she needs to slap Jeannie around for an extended amount of time, really make her sorry she and Austin ever messed with Toni and Chris. I won't go so far as to suggest blood, but two wild shots with Jeannie tied up in the ropes just aren't enough. I get that you don't want these two to have a singles match, which would be a total disaster, but at least let them work more than a few seconds apiece before we get endless chinlocks from the men. In all my years of watching wrestling, I've never known two such supposedly bitter rivals spend so much time fighting over a stupid goddamn reverse chinlock. You didn't teach Steve anything else at that broken-down school of yours, Chris?

They can stop Tony Falk from reffing these bouts, too. Him grabbing the house mic to reassert his authority might have made sense in the first match, but this time it just felt like what it probably was: another spot to delay the Toni/Jeannie catfight as long as humanly possible. Let Bronko have a shot at it, or maybe bring in Jerry "Puppies!" Lawler as a guest referee.

As for Percy and CVE, why not? Jarrett and Iceman, why not? Just make it an eight-person tag, tell Lawler to bring the belt and put it on the line for the winner of the fall to claim, and have Toni pin Jeannie for it. That way this trainwreck could be put out of its misery for good.

Sorry, guys, but this entire promotion's lost me for the moment. So many decent ideas, such lousy execution of them. Bring on Global; it can't be much worse.

• 1 year later...

Yes! This this the match I was waiting for from this group. Toni gets some great revenge and she was awesome on the apron. The end just completely deteriorates into madness in one of the more wild scenes from uswa so far. Just sheer insanity with what looks like the entire roster flying around.

• 9 months later...

I wanted Toni to start beating the shit out of Falk at the beginning of the match, but oh well. They again work an extended chinlock sequence to drag things out and Toni gets some measure of revenge. This feud is too one-sided despite how good it is. What have Toni and Chris really gotten back on Austin and Jeannie that hasn't been repaid three times over almost immediately after?

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-20-USWA Texas] Steve Austin & Jeannie Clark vs Chris & Toni Adams