Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-28-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We start with Vince & Jesse making reference to the expensive gifts that Sapphire is receiving. In retrospect I should have seen where that was going from a mile away.

As I alluded to in the Arsenio thread, this Rude/Warrior booking makes no sense at all. They've scheduled an SNME title match AND a Cage match for SummerSlam? Would it have killed them to run a hot angle on NBC and get to the Cage Match from there? I guess they wanted both main events to be announced at the same time, but that really fucked up the timing of this feud.

Rude isn't up to his usual standards here, but Heenan is great, almost out-preaching Brother Love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Rude and Heenan are trying desperately to keep the same old themes alive, and it's only because Bobby is so superior on the mic that it sounds remotely interesting. As I said in a previous Rude interview thread, a barking, scowling Rick Rude is a horrible fit for the character that's already been established over the last two and a half years, and even Rude seems to know that, because he's back to the hip swiveling at the end of this very interview. It's a little late to save this feud, though.

I think this segment was misdated; it should have been 7/21. I don't think there were ever two full-length Brother Love segments in the same show, and the LOD are his guests on 7/28.

• 1 year later...

Brother Love’s guest this week is the next WWF Heavyweight champion, ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude along with his manager Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan. He says that Summerslam is just around the corner, and he knows that ‘Brother Brain’ and himself can hardly wait to get the Ultimate Warrior inside that solid steel cage. Rude tells Love that he’s looking too far into the future, and that he will be locking horns with the Ultimate Warrior before Summerslam. As soon as that day comes, wherever in the world it may be, the Ultimate Warrior will go down and when he steps inside the cage at Summerslam, he will be stepping inside to face ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude, the WWF Heavyweight champion. He says that everybody knows that the man who leaves the cage is the man who wins the match, but it will be obvious for everyone to see that when the Ultimate Warrior climbs the side of the cage, he won’t be climbing to win his title back, he’ll be climbing to escape the punishment that Rick Rude is inflicting! He’s defeated him before, he’ll defeat him again, he will take his title and he will walk out through the cage door. Heenan then says that there is going to be a new WWF champion, lightning struck once before and it will strike again.

Yup, this is from 7/21. Chalk me up as another who this feud is doing nothing for. I’ll write more about it after the Warrior promo from 7/22, but having a match between the two before Summerslam is just baffling (and I didn’t even realise they had the Saturday Night’s Main Event match, I assumed they were just talking about the house show loop.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-28-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan