Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-28-WWF-Superstars] Sgt. Slaughter vignette

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Volkoff's the target solely because he's Russian; the totem pole has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I'm not liking these as much as I thought I would; there's too much over-the-top screaming, even for a wacky drill sergeant. I thought that stuff didn't really take off until the turncoat angle. I'm not suggesting calm, cool articulation by any means, but Slaughter's capable of calming things down to a dull roar and still getting his point across, especially this early on. If this character hadn't suddenly turned "relevant" due to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, he'd most likely have burned out the fans inside of six months. Then again, Flair made JCP/WCW fans' ears bleed needlessly from 1985-2001 and he still became legendary, so what do I know? Maybe I'm projecting because of what Slaughter was turned into.

• 1 year later...

Drill Sgt. Slaughter is being driven around at the barracks, and oh how he loves the smell of napalm in the morning! There’s a stench in the air though, a disgusting smell! It smells like pinko commie, it smells like Nikolai Volkoff, it smells like pinko commie supporters, it smells like liberal, it smells like peace! And he hates smell of peace! What they need is a new smell, the smell of war! Nikolai Volkoff and his pinko commie supporters crossed Sgt. Slaughter and they’ll now be smelling a smell they’ll never forget, the smell of defeat!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-28-WWF-Superstars] Sgt. Slaughter vignette