Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-08-04-WWF-Superstars] Sgt. Slaughter vignette / Nikolai Volkoff Boy Scouts ceremony

Loss

• 2 months later...

Slaughter - "Drill Sgt. Slaughter", as he's billing himself at this point - is still going on about this pinko commie Nikolai Volkoff.

Then we cut to the ring where the Boy Scouts are doing a ceremony to present Nikolai Volkoff with a medal of honor. Classy ceremony and I'll bite my tongue about the political tinge of both of these segments.

• 2 weeks later...

PEACE IS FOR PANSIES. SGT. SLAUGHTER IS DECLARING WAR ON PEACE AND ON YOU, VOLKOFF. I know Steve Beverly absolutely flipped his lid at the closing shot of Slaughter pointing an assault rifle at the camera, basically threatening to shoot any fan who supported peace or Volkoff. It's doubly disturbing now. Ventura says he completely agrees with Slaughter's stance which is also pretty crazy when heard with 2012 ears. This is actually a pretty hilarious combination of a classy ceremony with the most un-PC wrestling promos seen in the WWF in years. Ventura invokes noted political stalwart Andrew Dice Clay and says that if Volkoff can't speak the Pledge of Allegiance he should get out. I'm going to miss Jesse on this yearbook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slaughter is packing heat. He is declaring war on Volkoff and those maggot fan supporters. Volkoff with Boy Scouts of America. Nikolai gets a medal of honor for World Peace. Next stop Nobel Peace Prize. Pledge of Allegiance. Jesse says if you can’t speak the language get out. Leader of immigration reform.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Slaughter turned into a total cartoon sooner than I thought. I wasn't expecting rational political discourse, but I thought he was more subtle until he embraced Iraq. I was expecting something more along the lines of "I love America, but I don't like that she's in bed with a pinko like Volkoff". Silly, silly me.

The ceremony was excellent, and Volkoff seemed genuinely touched.

I don't know what to make of Jesse here. I have to believe that as a proud vet, he wouldn't have supported Sarge as a turncoat in the middle of an actual conflict, but he's also all about money and never took wrestling all that seriously, so he might have just gone with it, figuring that "The Body" would always support heels, even turncoat Marines. It's probably best for his life after wrestling that we never found out for sure.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Drill Sgt. Slaughter is unloading some rounds, and says how for weeks he’s been watching that pinko commie Nikolai Volkoff walk to the ring while all these maggots stand as he waves the red, white and blue. It makes him sick! Nikolai Volkoff preaches peace, but he says peace is for pansies! He’s declaring war on peace, declaring war on Nikolai Volkoff, and declaring war on any maggot fans that support him (whilst pointing his gun at the camera!). Vince McMahon can’t believe he’d point that weapon, although Jesse Ventura, as a veteran, says that he agrees with Slaughter totally!

Nikolai Volkoff is in the ring with various members of the Boy Scout troops from the Mid-America council. ‘Eagle Scout’ Ryan Davey is here to make a special presentation, while Jesse Ventura refers to them as ‘goody two shoes’ who even have proper haircuts! Davey, on behalf of the Mid-America Council for Boy Scouts of America, presents Nikolai with a medal of honour for his contributions to World Peace, Strength and Unity. He pins the medal on the big man and it looks like it’s bought a tear to his eye. They all pledge allegiance with Jesse mocking how Volkoff didn’t even know the words. Vince says that he’s not a naturalized citizen yet, but Ventura says how he agrees with Andrew ‘Dice’ Clay, and if you can’t speak the language ‘get out!’

Not sure what Nikolai has done to bring about world peace! They’re going at it hard to make him a sympathetic ‘American’ ready although Slaughter is clearly going to squash him. Guess the idea is that they can make the Sarge a bigger heel by running through a peace promoting ‘American’ in his first feud, as opposed to a Jimmy Snuka, Tito Santana type.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-08-04-WWF-Superstars] Sgt. Slaughter vignette / Nikolai Volkoff Boy Scouts ceremony