Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-08-18-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Earthquake, Jimmy Hart & Dino Bravo

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dino Bravo makes specific threats towards Tugboat, that Earthquake won't have to worry about him come SummerSlam. Those threats would pay off at the end of this show in an angle that's never had its background fully explained to my knowledge.

Fare thee well, Jesse. Unless we get an Update/recap of the Tugboat attack this little cameo will be Ventura's final appearance for the WWF for 9 years and final appearance on this yearbook.

(As a completely irrelevant aside it just blew my mind that 9 years is all that separated this from a SummerSlam in the midst of the full-blown Attitude Era. The WWF product has changed less in the 13 years since that.)

Glad you mentioned Jimmy because when he came running out it really struck me that this may be his highest profile managing job since he left Memphis. He doesn't get a chance to do a lot here and actually Bravo is spotlighted more. I thought Quake did a good promo going into the final sell for Summerslam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I agree about Jimmy. He did more behind the scenes writing and producing entrance music than he did in front of the camera. The only exceptions to this rule were the Hart Foundation (who, as we found out later, didn't really need him to get over after all) and Honky. Jimmy really was indispensable to Honky's act in my opinion, especially compared to what Honky would have been like with Fuji, who was supposedly Vince's first choice to manage him. Other than those three, almost everyone Jimmy managed would have been better off in the Heenan Family. So would almost every other heel the WWF had from 1984-1993 inclusive, but that's a different argument.

This promo in itself isn't all that special. Quake shouts threats to Hogan, Bravo shouts threats to Tugboat, and we're done. I loved Jimmy's "Hulkamania is Dead" jacket; by his own admission, he put as much thought into his jackets in the WWF as he did into how he managed his men, which tells you something about how he was used.

I can't believe Jesse's gone from the WWF, but I also can't wait to hear him in WCW coming up in '92.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Brother Love welcomes to his show the only man to put Hulk Hogan out of commission, the Earthquake (who is accompanied by Dino Bravo and Jimmy Hart). Love is very excited to have them as his guests, so much so that his legs are shaking and Vince McMahon quips ‘does he have to go to the bathroom?’ Hart is wearing a jacket that says ‘Hulkamania is Dead’ and he hopes that Hulk Hogan and Tugboat have plenty of Earthquake insurance. Love mentions to Bravo how Tugboat is going to be in the Hulkster’s corner, but he doesn’t think he will be able to push the World’s Strongest Man around. Dino says that he’s got that right, and they’re going to make sure that the Earthquake only has to concentrate on Hulk Hogan in that match. He’s a man of his word and he guarantees that Tugboat won’t be doing anything come Summerslam. ‘Brother’ Earthquake says how Hulk Hogan is talking about him making a mistake? Well he’s the one who’s making the mistake by saying that he’ll be coming back for Summerslam to go against him, the only man who has put him out of commission. At Summerslam he’s going to send him back to that hospital once and for all and Hulkamania will be dead!

Really liked Earthquake here, and he came across as a pretty scary and intimidating dude. Plenty of heat from the crowd for this too as they were doing their best to drown Earthquake out with boos and jeers.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-08-18-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Earthquake, Jimmy Hart & Dino Bravo