Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-08-18-WWF-Superstars] Update: Mr Perfect accepts Kerry Von Erich's challenge for Summerslam

Loss

• 2 months later...

They show a clip from last week on Superstars - which I really thought from memory happened on SNME - where Kerry challenged Perfect for the IC title at Summerslam. The crowd doesn't really react much, probably because he wasn't put over enough first.

I laughed that they gave him one very short line when he came in front of the crowd. His promo style at the end of the segment is so different than his usual style that it's obvious he was very coached.

I hate so much that they're calling him Texas Tornado.

• 2 weeks later...

Bret Hart isn't the only guy who struggled with the phrasing "the SummerSlam."

Perfect accepts the challenge of KVE, as both men cut SNME-style pun-tastic promos on each other. The Tornado's promo is pretty jarring in contrast to his Texas interviews, both in content and delivery. He was always pretty laid-back before, even when he was selling anger. He's much more shouty here.

KVE must have had a crash course on how to cut a WWF promo because this was so jarring and different from his delivery just a month before. This feels like this feud kind of popped out of nowhere but I can see why they did it and in many ways, I guess Kerry is the last person to come from the territory system to get a run in the big 2 besides Lawler in 1993.

KVE must have had a crash course on how to cut a WWF promo because this was so jarring and different from his delivery just a month before. This feels like this feud kind of popped out of nowhere but I can see why they did it and in many ways, I guess Kerry is the last person to come from the territory system to get a run in the big 2 besides Lawler in 1993.

this is a weird statement to me.

Would John Nord count? Or Keirn as Skinner? Tom Pritchard?

I would say Kiern is another good example. I mainly just meant someone who was a recognizable star of another promotion and then got a shot at the big 2. Lawler and KVE were huge draws and the face of their respective promotions for numerous years and known to non-wrestling fans in big metropolitan cities. Kiern was a big draw as the Fabs. The other contingent like Pritchard, Tony Anthony, Nord, etc. were recognizable names if you were a big fan of the promotion when they had a run but I dont think they had the clout and reputation of Lawler and Kerry in casual fan's eyes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The main reason they called Kerry "The Texas Tornado" was because his well-known nickname was "The Modern-Day Warrior". That obviously wouldn't fly in a promotion where the Ultimate Warrior was on top. It's the same reason why the Road Warriors were known exclusively as the Legion of Doom. (These names also had the advantage of being able to be trademarked easily by the WWF.) Was it stupid? Well, going without a nickname at that time and in that place wasn't a realistic option, so that name was as good as any other. The sad part came when they stopped referring to him as Kerry Von Erich at all on a national basis. It was just further evidence that most of the WWF wrestlers weren't supposed to be human beings and had no reason to exist outside of their gimmick.

I think the WWF's promo style and the coaching he undoubtedly got helped Kerry here. Yes, the constant puns were excruciating, but no more so than listening to him stumble, fumble, and bumble in the USWA. At least he had a consistent message to deliver and could have parts reshot if he screwed up. It might not have fit the way things were "supposed" to be done, but it made for a more consistent TV show, which is what the WWF was all about.

Didn't think we'd hear from Jesse again. He supports the heels right to the end with his complaints about Kerry getting a shot at Curt despite having almost no track record, and as usual, he has a point in his own way. Still, this is a big upgrade over whoever else we would have gotten in the wake of Beefcake's accident. I have no earthly idea who else could have taken the spot, since all the other faces had their own matches and/or major roles to play. I guess maybe Piper would have sufficed in a pinch, but who would have done commentary in that case?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Gene recaps what happened on last week’s episode of Superstars of Wrestling, where after a Mr Perfect victory he was confronted by Kerry Von Erich who came to ringside and challenged him for the Intercontinental title. Okerlund speculates as to whether that match will take place at Summerslam, and has comments from them both.

Bobby Heenan says that they accept the Texas Tornado’s challenge, but it’s going to backfire in his face. Hennig tells ‘The Brain’ it’s not going to backfire, it’s going to explode in his face! He’s not only going to feel the heat of Summerslam, but he’s going to feel the heat of Mr Perfect.

Kerry says that it’s one week until Summerslam, he was ready a week ago and he’s feeling better than he’s ever felt in his life. He’s coming fist and fire, the tornado will land and they will find out he is not absolutely Perfect!

Gene then confirms that the match has been signed for Summerslam.

After seeing his promos from the USWA earlier in the year all I can think of is how many takes this might have taken! Kerry, physically, looked fantastic and a short, WWF style promo, even with a tornado reference. Crazy to think where he was a little over a month ago, and now he’s facing the Intercontinental champion at Summerslam.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-08-18-WWF-Superstars] Update: Mr Perfect accepts Kerry Von Erich's challenge for Summerslam