Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Ted DiBiase and Dusty Rhodes

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, Ted, just because your money CAN buy anything doesn't mean that you SHOULD. His taste in women would improve in several months, at least. Dusty chases after the limo and this is so Crockett-like that I suspect Dusty booked this himself. Sean Mooney laments that Dusty couldn't get to the limo in time to stop it. "What was Dusty gonna do if he got there sooner?" Piper retorts. "Lay in front of the car?" Once again, I'll miss this cranky heelish Piper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, fine. He's a dick. But it was also a clumsy, lazy way to get Dibiase to a fued with Dusty.

Buying off the love of his life was at least made for a personal vendetta and Dusty played it wonderfully IMO.

Could the same be accomplished had Dustin just got laid out? Sure.

Next: Matilda is dognapped and we get a WM match out of it!

I'll admit to not really watching all the WWF stuff on these discs (I NEVER want to see another Brother Love as long as I live). I just find it all about as repulsive as I find todays WWE. So, if Dusty said she was the love of his life, then I missed it. I just, as stated earlier, thought it was a really lackluster way (much like Rude and Heenan doing the Yo Mama jokes to start their run with the Bossman) to switch guys into their new programs. Did the Dibiase-Bossman stuff even have an ending?

Turns out they had another TV match in August 1990. DQ win for Ted.

It's on Daily Motion. Mooney and Hayes on commentary. Looks like it's on the Supertape 3 VHS, an item of which I'm a proud owner.

Looking at historyofwwe, they had house show matches all through May, June and July, generally with Bossman winning with an inside cradle or small package (same finish as MSG match).

That August TV match isn't the last though, it keeps going.

WWF @ St. Louis, MO - Arena - August 24, 1990 (2,500)

Dustin Rhodes pinned Black Bart

The Orient Express defeated Marty Jannetty & Shane Douglas (sub. for Shawn Michaels)

Haku defeated Barry O

Paul Roma pinned Jim Powers

Jimmy Snuka pinned Iron Mike Sharpe

Ted Dibiase defeated the Big Bossman via disqualification

Earthquake pinned Jim Duggan; prior to the bout, Duggan busted his own head open after throwing his 2x4 into the air and miscalculating the catch

Looks like you are right that it didn't really end.

Until just now I always thought that MSG match was the culmination of it.

The one other thing I'll say about that Dusty vs. DiBiase feud is that it's one storyline where Ted comes out on top in an almost ridiculous way that hardly ever happened for heels in the WWF.

Think about how it goes:

- Ted buys Sapphire off. 1-0 Ted.

- Ted and Dustin do the 10-minute challenge. 1-1, I guess, but the match puts over Ted really strong.

- MSG Nov. 24th. Virgil and Ted go over Dusty and Dustin basically clean. 2-1

- Royal Rumble. Ted goes over Dusty and Dustin basically clean and ON HIS OWN. 3-1

Pretty rough ride for Dusty there. Ted completely fucks him over. Takes his wife. Kicks the shit out of his son. And all he gets for his trouble is a train ticket back to Atlanta. Don't know how many examples there are in that era of pure villainy winning out like that.

I'll admit to not really watching all the WWF stuff on these discs (I NEVER want to see another Brother Love as long as I live). I just find it all about as repulsive as I find todays WWE. So, if Dusty said she was the love of his life, then I missed it. I just, as stated earlier, thought it was a really lackluster way (much like Rude and Heenan doing the Yo Mama jokes to start their run with the Bossman) to switch guys into their new programs. Did the Dibiase-Bossman stuff even have an ending?

Well if nothing else, Dusty talked about having sex with her on National TV on SNME - albeit in a veiled joking manner.

• 1 year later...

The Savage/Dusty match and the announcements for Sherri/Sapphire that began the reveal of Sapphire's benefactor should have been on here. We get Dusty running after the car and a short comment from Teddy, but not even a good shot of Sapphire in her new fur coat. If I hadn't remembered seeing it live, I would have been extremely disappointed at what a gyp the angle was, not knowing that I'd only seen the last few seconds of it. You fell asleep at the switch, gentlemen.

I remember being shocked at the reveal when I saw it live, because I figured that Teddy would have no use for Sapphire as a girlfriend. I would have liked to have seen at least one appearance by Sapphire in Teddy's corner during a match, but she wasn't exactly a classic manager or valet type, so maybe it was best that she just disappeared. I don't even think she was on TV once after this.

As for AJ's comments about the WWF being lazy about transitioning back and forth between feuds, wrestling has always had a place for personal issues. Granted, some of the WWF's were flimsier than those in other organizations, but not every good angle in wrestling has to be athletically based. There's more to this business than the pursuit of championships, especially in the WWF, where only a select handful are deemed worthy of even thinking about contending for them. Did anybody honestly think that either Teddy or Dusty were legitimate contenders for Warrior or Kerry by now? I know I sure didn't. So they wrestle for pride and money, and part of pride is accruing friends and possessions, such as Sapphire, Virgil, and the Million Dollar Belt. It seemed straightforward enough to me, and it still does.

I liked Piper's line about Dusty having to lay down in front of the limo in order to stop it. If I remember correctly, he also believed that Dusty didn't show enough fight against Savage because he was too distracted by Sapphire's absence, which led to his line at the very beginning of the clip about being disappointed in Dusty. It almost seemed that Rod was trying to channel Jesse here, only to either decide himself or be told by Vince afterward that they wanted a pure babyface commentator.

We could have used Mean Gene instead of Mooney as the interviewer here. I know Sean was trying for objectivity, but he came across as more than a little robotic.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, fine. He's a dick. But it was also a clumsy, lazy way to get Dibiase to a fued with Dusty.

It might be lazy but it's more common in entertainment than you think. Do we ever find out why the villains of James Bond movies want to rule the world? No. Do we care? Not really, because they're that good. Same goes for DiBiase during this time. Admittedly it was not as compelling as him trying to buy the heavyweight championship, or the feud with Jake Roberts, but it was effective. I actually think it would have been better if he bought Dustin off, but I doubt that would have happened even if it was pitched.

• 4 months later...

Sean Mooney is backstage and he says that the Million Dollar Man is in his private suite, but has just noticed that his limousine has pulled up and expects them any minute. Virgil comes out followed by Ted Dibiase with Sapphire. Mooney tries to find out what’s going on with Sapphire and what she’s doing with him. Dibiase tells him to take a long hard look and learn the lesson that there is nothing that money can’t buy! The then camera cuts to Dusty Rhodes running back up the aisle after his loss to Randy Savage. He gets to where the limousine is but Virgil sees him coming, hops in and they drive off with the Dream chasing after them.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Ted DiBiase and Dusty Rhodes