Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-05-NWA-Clash of the Champions XII] Interview: Fabulous Freebirds

Loss

• 2 months later...

Check out those Freebirds outfits. Wow was WCW really being booked like a regional outfit at this point. Good to see Buddy Roberts though.

They do show a clip of them visiting Hollywood a few months earlier and being mobbed by fans, which has a great payoff later on the yearbook. Hayes and Garvin are entertaining, and they live the gimmick, but I have no idea why they'd invest so much in them this late.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, it's BUDDY ROBERTS. I had no idea this actually happened. Check that, it's GENERAL BUDDY LEE ROBERTS. They're back in Confederate gear and this is as close to the UWF/World Class 'birds as we'll ever get in WCW, I believe.

Jimmy and Michael cavort around Hollywood and naturally wear their wrestling gear while doing it. It's too bad they were pretty much zeros in the ring at this point because from a strict personality standpoint both guys had a lot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check out those Freebirds outfits. Wow was WCW really being booked like a regional outfit at this point. Good to see Buddy Roberts though.

They do show a clip of them visiting Hollywood a few months earlier and being mobbed by fans, which has a great payoff later on the yearbook. Hayes and Garvin are entertaining, and they live the gimmick, but I have no idea why they'd invest so much in them this late.

They keep investing and investing and investing over the next two years.

If they're "the greatest rock and roll band in the world" how come they're staying at a Holiday Inn?

Kidding aside, I'm a big Freebird mark and agree that this is as close to "old" Freebirds as we get.

We are not the greatest rock and roll band in the world but we did stay at a Holiday Inn.

• 1 year later...

The Hollywood vignette was pretty good, though Hayes can stop with the mascara any time he wants to. The interview I could have done without, mostly because Smothers and Armstrong should be feuding with the MX instead of these guys, even if Stan and Bobby aren't the US champions anymore.

The Confederate facepaint wasn't as inappropriate here as it would be somewhere else; remember, this show was in North Carolina, where the Stars and Bars mean something to almost everyone, be it positive or negative.

Nice to see Buddy Jack, but I don't think he was with them for long this time. Ideally, WCW would have paid enough for Gordy to join the group at least for Clashes and pay-per-views, but Ole was never one to spend that kind of dough, and considering how well Bamm Bamm was doing in Japan by then, he wouldn't have come cheap.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The Freebirds are in full on confederate flag gear, complete with confederate flags painted on their face (although it looks like Hayes’ has sweated off) and have Buddy Roberts with them.

Tony Schiavone says that the match which has had everyone buzzing here was the Southern Boys victory over the Freebirds, although he’s sure these men would disagree! Jim Garvin tells him that I’s a good job he’s shut his mouth now before General Buddy Lee shoves his fist down it! They’re sick of being treated like garbage and if these people can’t respect them, they’ll teach them how to respect them! Nobody messed with the Freebirds before and nobody is going to mess with them now. Roberts says that they’re going to get the Southern Boys out of here, these people may think they won the battle, but they will win the war. Hayes tells ‘Bullet’ Bob that he was step number one and there will be many more to follow. They’re still the greatest Rock & Roll band, still kicking butt, still taking names and still raising chaos! He then has a video of when they went to Hollywood and were mobbed by fans wherever they went.

I had no recollection of Roberts being with the Freebirds as late as this in the NWA at all.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-05-NWA-Clash of the Champions XII] Interview: Fabulous Freebirds